breeds = attitudes???

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

Are there certain attitudes associated with different breeds? The reason I ask is we have an October heifer that is just nasty, for lack of a better word. Her mother is a show heifer that is sweet as can be (will go anywhere for grain) and does not have a mean bone in her body. She is a half Simmental (Macho), 1/4 Angus and 1/4 maine (we got her at the exposure sale in 2008, she is the cow in my avatar). Last year we had to take her to a bull because she would not stick to her AI dates (we AI'd three times, but she has a TON of hair and was hot all the time). The bull is 1/2 Simm, 1/8 commercial simm, 1/8 angus, 1/8 Beefmaster, 1/8 horned Hereford. Is the beef master nasty tempered? The heifer is very jumpy, skittish, non-trusting. We had our hands all over her when she was born and for about a week, then just left her alone because she always did her best to avoid people. We walk through our herd twice a day, the cows/calves come up to get a little grain at night so we can heat check and just do general health checks. She has been around people her entire life (of all 7 months). Mom did not do the best of job raising her, she only weighs about 490 pounds, but did eat creep from about 60 days on.
So, is her attitude because of her genetics or is there another reason she is so skittish?
Thanks for any input!

tswshowcattle

I do not think this is a breed issue, we have had a couple that are very gentle and had a calf that was great, then the next calf was a psycho.  Same breeding as the first.  You just get some that are stupid.

J

JTM

I agree that this may not be a breed issue or bloodline issue since the Dam is docile. I do totally believe that their are differences in breeds and certain bloodlines. My experience is with Shorthorns (very docile), Maine Anjou (docile), and Angus(less docile). I have seen some bloodlines that seem to continue either their good docility or poor docility to their offspring. You can always have a stupid one every once in a while in any breed.

kanshow

It's probably just one of those things.. One of our gentlest cows (old show heifer) has produced some of our easiest to work with calves - until this  year's calf - that calf is a spitfire.     

I will say that we've run some eared cattle once in awhile and they are a little different than what we are used to - and I don't mean that in a nice way!! LOL!   

Bulldaddy

Disposition is a combination of genetics and environment (how that are raised).  Some breeds are typically gentle like hereford, red angus and simmental. While some breeds are known to have more attitude like angus (black), limousin and american breeds like beefmaster, braford and simbrah. Of course, there are execptions and if you select for gentle cattle, you will end up with a herd of gentle cattle no matter what the breed.

gbart

I must agree that it may not be a breed thing. We have always raised black angus and they have always been docile. We have some limmy's that are just as docile but have a shorthorn heifer that is crazy as a betsybug.  I think alot of it goes back to the handling and raising. But sometimes you just get one that wont settle down no matter how much time you spend with them.

Bradenh

beefmasters and all americans are very stupid/crazy. thats pretty much all i show personally. but if your heifer is 1/16 beefmaster i dont think she would catch a whole lot of any genes from that breed. i would tell you if she was registered or half blood that is your problem, but 1/16th isnt going to change much

vc

I think you have one that is just that way, not a breed thing, probably not a genetic thing. just is what it is. Calf prices are still good, I would just sell her, she is more than likely going to stay that way.
You could breed her the same way and end up with one that wants to be a lap dog the next time.

OH Breeder

firesweepranch said:
Are there certain attitudes associated with different breeds? The reason I ask is we have an October heifer that is just nasty, for lack of a better word. Her mother is a show heifer that is sweet as can be (will go anywhere for grain) and does not have a mean bone in her body. She is a half Simmental (Macho), 1/4 Angus and 1/4 maine (we got her at the exposure sale in 2008, she is the cow in my avatar). Last year we had to take her to a bull because she would not stick to her AI dates (we AI'd three times, but she has a TON of hair and was hot all the time). The bull is 1/2 Simm, 1/8 commercial simm, 1/8 angus, 1/8 Beefmaster, 1/8 horned Hereford. Is the beef master nasty tempered? The heifer is very jumpy, skittish, non-trusting. We had our hands all over her when she was born and for about a week, then just left her alone because she always did her best to avoid people. We walk through our herd twice a day, the cows/calves come up to get a little grain at night so we can heat check and just do general health checks. She has been around people her entire life (of all 7 months). Mom did not do the best of job raising her, she only weighs about 490 pounds, but did eat creep from about 60 days on.
So, is her attitude because of her genetics or is there another reason she is so skittish?
Thanks for any input!

We have a 3C Macho daughter out of a WMW/Angus. The cow WMW/Angus can only be touched in a squeeze chute and you can't get within 10 feet of her in the field. Her calf out of Macho has been an absolute doll. She follows you from the time you hit the gate. She will walk up behind you and put her head in your shoulder and proceed to clean your neck and ears. All of her calves out of different bulls have the same attitude. Grandma produces amazing calves but is just a nutjob. Her daughter and granddaughter are both kittens. Interesting its a Macho heifer you were discussing.
I think some breeds get a bad rap. many times I think its the individual animal. Some are just by nature spooky animals. Some never get over it. Grandma is 14 years old and we have had her for 7 years. All her calves have been great.

twistedhshowstock

All breeds have their good ones and bad ones.  But I do think we see some trends with different breeds.  I showed Angus growing up, and I have dealt with a lot. I agree Angus are docile, at least one day in their life. My problem with ALL of the Angus I have dealt with is you cant trust them...one day they are sweet and gently you can curl up beside em and nap...next day they try to kill you. Angus I ahve delt with have ALWAYS been the worst kickers.  For me the 2 breeds I have dealt with that are most consistantly gentle are Polled Herefords and surprisingly purebred Brahmans.  The pure Brahmans I have dealt with have always been pretty easy breakers and laid back cattle. But all breeds have their occasional mishaps, one of the worst wrecks I ever saw in a show ring came from a Hereford steer.
As far as the americans being crazy, for me they are always a little stand offish and untrusting, but not necessarily mean. Yes they are jumpy and skittish but you just have to earn their trust.  I think one of the differences you see with breeds is the way the people that tend to have each breed handle them.  I grew up in Louisiana and have been around a lot of American cattle. I can tell you that I have noticed that people with american cattle seem to be more likely to "cowboy" em and get em riled up.  They also seem to be more likely to just turn em out and not get out in em often because they are a hardy breed that doesnt require a lot of maintenance. All of which I think aids to their personality.

LittleHeifer

it could be a number of things. My friend raises beefmasters and they are as gentle as can be. I raise shorthorns and love their dociler attitudes but some are just plain mean. Angus I have seen docile and crazy. same as any other breed. my guess is it is the cow itself. some can just be plain nasty and you can try to work with them sometimes you'll get results sometimes not. and there are times you can sell or send them to some one else and they are the biggest babies.
little heifer (angel)