Brig Stewart or Yochum Jr?

Help Support Steer Planet:

fed_champions

From my experience, anybody who is a good judge, likes good ones. There are two types in the cattle business as far as steers go. Theres the soggy made, easy feeding steer, whose sound as a cat, has enough muscle and provides a good look from the profile. Then there's the heavy muscled, cutability type steer who has enough rib, and is sound enough on the move while still providing an attractive look from the side. Brigham was raised on a big ranch so i would imagine he leans more toward the first type of steer as functionality is a biggie in a breeding operation.

justme

Stewart likes them a little clubby, and can talk why he did what he did.  Yocum...showed under him several times, and I couldn't follow him each time.  Take good cattle and good kids and just have fun.

jlingle

This is just one person's opinion, so take it for what it's worth....

Yocham Jr. judged our county show a few years ago.  The good: He found the best one in the barn.  He chose a really thick, soft, hairy, well moving steer for grand.  The best calf definitely won that day. 

The bad: he seemed to lose interest after picking grand. Our sale order from calf #2 through #18, it was REALLY difficult to follow his picks.  During the showmanship he didn't speak to any of the kids, and he never laid a hand on a calf at any time during the steer show. 

My daughter did just fine at the show, and the calf that won it was raised by my dad.  I don't have anything against Yocham, but I sure wouldn't be excited to see him show up to judge again.

mark tenenbaum

woltemathangus said:
can anyone inform on what kind of calves these judges like? /// Not to get off the subject-but do you have Limestone Trifecta there in your avatar-if so could you inform me about his calves-I really like the looks of him as a functional bull-that would sire thick ones O0