Brisket skin help! New here yeah I’m aware this site has kinda died down

Help Support Steer Planet:

TexasRedsAndShorties

I have a red angus heifer out of MLK Bigfoot and if you look him up you will very quickly realize the issue I’m having with this heifer her brisket is not filled out but this excess skin is a problem! And makes her brisket look alot larger than it is in reality my question? What can I do neck sweating sounds like it would possibly help some have suggested fitter 52 I need to tighten the skin and if I can even make the brisket smaller I wouldn’t mind thanks all who may answer! <cowboy>

TexasRedsAndShorties

She’s awesomely feminine but this brisket thing is definitely effecting her competing ability I feed a 2.5 fat feed she gets 9 pounds of it along with supplements and such no fat pones or anything just needs some skin to go bye bye

Attachments

• 9F84192E-F09F-412D-8D91-3C3830240D3C.jpeg
    9F84192E-F09F-412D-8D91-3C3830240D3C.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 36

Dale

Go to a show where a real-world person is judging?  For decades the breeders west of the Mississippi (even Iowa) have wanted some brisket on their cattle since a little brisket is necessary for hardiness.  One well-known breeder even joked that those without a brisket get sick even if a cloud passed over them.  I grew up around the show ring and still find there is usefulness and learning there, but often the big ribbon winners are not the best ones in the pasture.  Think "cowy" in judging terms, if you intend to keep your heifer long term.

Not many of the great breeding cattle have a chiseled out look?  We have 2 full sisters (both were showed and won some ribbons at local 4-H fair), one of which looks good enough to flush, but is more similar the rest of our herd.  The 2nd sister is feminine, but is just a touch cleaner and has perfect lines.  Guess which one is the "Performance Dam" for several years running.  Guess which one had milk fever (I think, and the vet gave her treatment for both, and she responded) or grass tetany this fall, even though we had fed the high magnesium mineral since spring.

A judge really gets my attention when they talk about what works for them on the ranch or farm.  Fancy terms without the experience to back them up, do not impress me.  No, I am not opposed to university judges, but want them to be practical.

Yes, Bigfoot has some brisket, but brisket is very high priced, isn't it?  We have owned 2 bulls with basically no brisket.  Both worked out, but benefitted from

TexasRedsAndShorties

I have no doubt my girls will go out and make great cows but yep those fancy term judges are an issue I can most always look at a judge and tell you how I’ll do they have a look about them

mark tenenbaum

Nice work if you can find it.  Im going to agree both ways. The type of real world commercially oriented judge doesnt seem to appear much or at all. Especially at the larger breed shows. Hey Texas-I guess the absolute biggest example of a total Sh@$%^&*t show can be found watching the videos of the Cattlemans Congress national Shorthorn shows. Absolute disregard for EPDS, FAT ALL OVER (in udders, front third,obvious misrepresentation of real ages, ON and ON. How could you tell at the Congress that the judge lacked any substance at all? Every set of reasons came from the same script-same comments EVERY CLASS. Absolute DOOOOFUSS-And where did this simple script and winning placements come from?  Fearless leader  Soules. O0

TexasRedsAndShorties

I’ve only ever met two judges I really did like Dr John declerk and James murziekawitz probably not even spelt correctly there lol! But James actually had a passion for judging and it showed and John declerk was very real about his judging style :)

TexasRedsAndShorties

Also here is a recent picture of her at the state fair placed fourth in a tough class but if I had the brisket like it used to be she would’ve done better and yes I am very aware she wasn’t set up kicking myself for that most definitely

Attachments

• 921C826E-04D8-472A-805C-80C0F14898A9.jpeg
    921C826E-04D8-472A-805C-80C0F14898A9.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 35

vc

Can I make some suggestions, I'm going to start with her hair, it needs to be worked more, it want's to lay flat, even if they don't have a ton of hair, worked hair that stays popped makes them look fresher in the ring. Second I would try to keep her head more strait forward, turned towards the judge like it is in the picture makes the hide roll, giving the impression she is thicker in the neck than she is. I like the heifer, she looks like she will make a great cow, she maybe not as pretty as some of the other heifers you are running up against, but looks like a good functional heifer.

TexasRedsAndShorties

She did have awesome amazing hair but as you may know I’m in Texas and ever since the big hot drought it just all went totally away not even the same texture as the old hair and I believe her head is held straight forward she just has a really rolly neck now people have tried to convince me to feed her more not happening obviously here is a picture of her when she had some of the most awesome hair I’ve seen on a red angus down here

Attachments

• C5834C41-8C4B-4CF0-8C65-4997A90C71AE.jpeg
    C5834C41-8C4B-4CF0-8C65-4997A90C71AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

Latest posts