Bruzer

Help Support Steer Planet:

dori36

I was going to post these in the original thread about what to breed the heifers to, but decided that since that thread has been somewhat "beaten to death", I'd start a new one.  This is "Bruzer", the half Shorthorn/half Lowline bull that I mentioned on the other thread.  I just got these from his owner.  He is sired by BR Absolut who's sired by Bell Brae Boris Bel.  He's a 2006 model.  Obviously, he's in his working  clothes here in the late summer.  He was scanned rea and marbling and I'll pass those numbers along when I get them.

Attachments

• 100_0341.JPG
    100_0341.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_0352.JPG
    100_0352.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 273

TJ

dori36 said:
I was going to post these in the original thread about what to breed the heifers to, but decided that since that thread has been somewhat "beaten to death", I'd start a new one.  This is "Bruzer", the half Shorthorn/half Lowline bull that I mentioned on the other thread.  I just got these from his owner.  He is sired by BR Absolut who's sired by Bell Brae Boris Bel.  He's a 2006 model.  Obviously, he's in his working  clothes here in the late summer.  He was scanned rea and marbling and I'll pass those numbers along when I get them.

I'd never seen Bruzer other than the show pics.  Nice bull & thanks for sharing!  He's just slightly over 2 in those pics, I assume. 

Dori, if you can get a bigger pic of Nikki too, I think that would really be worth posting... that is one terrific heifer!! 

dori36

"Dori, if you can get a bigger pic of Nikki too, I think that would really be worth posting... that is one terrific heifer!!  "

I'll see what I can do, TJ.

kobo_ranch

Hi Dori, Brenda at KOBO ranch, thanks for the pic of Bruzer looks very nice.  I'm the poster on the heifers.  Do you think he'd throw too big of calves for the first time heifer thing?  We are seriously considering a lowline since our heifers are pretty good size.  I personally was hoping to throw some kind of color though besides black, one of our girls has a black belly but the others are solid.  What do you think on the Maine/Angus X and this guy, or should I stick with maybe TJs Doc?  Do any of actually lease any of these lowline bulls?

dori36

kobo_ranch said:
Hi Dori, Brenda at KOBO ranch, thanks for the pic of Bruzer looks very nice.  I'm the poster on the heifers.  Do you think he'd throw too big of calves for the first time heifer thing?  We are seriously considering a lowline since our heifers are pretty good size.  I personally was hoping to throw some kind of color though besides black, one of our girls has a black belly but the others are solid.  What do you think on the Maine/Angus X and this guy, or should I stick with maybe TJs Doc?  Do any of actually lease any of these lowline bulls?

Hi, Brenda.  I'm not the one to ask about his bw on his calves.  Glenn does have several on the ground now and I'm sure at least some of 'em are from regular sized cows/heifers.  You can email him directly at [email protected] or I'd be glad to ask him.  PM me for his phone # if you want that, as well.  He did tell me he's going to try to get some pics of calves as he's putting Bruzer up on my site to advertise his semen.  I would personally not be afraid of him but I'd sure check out the calves before I made that decision.  I have a halfblood Lowline/Angus heifer that I need to breed this year  (if I don't sell her first) and may consider Bruzer myself.  And, she's a half Lowline so smaller than your average Shortie. I think some breeders may lease Lowline bulls if they've just gotten stuck with too many bull calves but if you're really interested in doing that, I'll try to check out the possibility  Where are you located?  I'm assuming you're interested in a percentage blood Lowline rather than a fullblood?  Also, if you decide to go with  semen, besides TJ's good Doc Holiday bull, I also have semen on ABF Fitz S219 who produced a 'bunch' of halfblood show calves for me.

TJ

I think that this little guy is going to be pretty interesting.  I don't know if he would be available for lease this fall, but he might be.  Might have semen this fall too.  He's red, but no, he's not a Bluey or a Tara or a Awesome Red or anything Vitulus.  He's not a Doc either.   He was a "surprise" red calf.   ;)  He hasn't been weaned long, is a bit young & is a bit green, but I think he's got potential & he is hairy.       

However, my biggest fear with these percentage bulls is "what is the other 1/2"?  Is it low birth weight too?  If it is, is it several generations of low birth/calving ease?  Because if something ever does decide to "come out & play", you may have a mess on your hands, especially on heifer with a little "power" themselves.    Kinda like Ali for example... he works a lot, but sometimes he doesn't, at least according to other posters on this board.

Also, as of right now, you can't register calves out of percentage Lowline bulls unless the cow is registered Lowline.  That may change soon, but if it does, they are not wanting to allow lower percentage Lowlines to show in the Lowline Shows.  So, that is something else to consider. 

If it were me, I'd stick with a fullblood & I don't care if that fullblood is Fitz (Fitz is a good bull too!).  You can register the calves as 1/2's, you can show them & you will have 100% low birth wieght/calving ease, rather than something that could prove to be unpredictable.  I like Glen Benjamin, he has good cattle & that is a good looking bull.  I like this little guy that is pictured below too.  But, I'd want to use a fullblood if it were me. Making F1's is better & more consistent, IMHO, than putting an F1 on crossbreds.   

TJ     

Attachments

• fall 2008 180-1.jpg
    fall 2008 180-1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 222

TJ

kobo_ranch said:

I've leased some bulls.  I would consider leasing a fullblood or a percentage bull, especially for a fall breeding situation. 

dori36

afhm said:
What's his hip height?

I've got a call in to his owner asking for hip height, rea scanned area, bf scanned inches, average weight of calves on the ground, and the dam's breeding/size/bw if he knows that.  Stay tuned!

TJ

afhm said:
What's his hip height?

It will be interesting to find out whether I am right or not, but if I were guessing, which I am, I would guess 52-53 inches... JPJ range. 

Here is a pic of my 1/2 blood bull that won at Kansas City.  He was 51 inches or so, at 17 months, at  Kansas City.  He's out of a Tarentaise heifer, but I have a feeling that it would've ended up being an interesting showdown between him & Bruzer had I taken my bull to Denver.  They both would've been long yearlings too.  I don't have a butt pic & wish that I did, because he too was very stout... actually his butt thickness is what really made him stand out.  He wasn't halter broke 40-45 days before the show & went off feed, so he's not in what you would consider to be "show condition" in this pic. 

He had a BW of 64 lbs, but I told the guy that I sold him to that I could not guarantee how consistent he would work on heifers & I recommended that he try him 1st on younger cows to test him out.  His calves should be arriving anytime & I will try to get a report this spring because I'm very interested to see how well these 1/2 blood bulls are working & are going to work for people. 

Anyway, this just goes to show that there are a lot of good 1/2 bloods running around & no reason why more can't be made that are just as good as these or even better!       ;)

Attachments

• GrandChampionLowlineBull.jpg
    GrandChampionLowlineBull.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 235

kobo_ranch

dori36 said:
kobo_ranch said:

Hi, Brenda.  I'm not the one to ask about his bw on his calves.  Glenn does have several on the ground now and I'm sure at least some of 'em are from regular sized cows/heifers.  You can email him directly at [email protected] or I'd be glad to ask him.  PM me for his phone # if you want that, as well.  He did tell me he's going to try to get some pics of calves as he's putting Bruzer up on my site to advertise his semen.  I would personally not be afraid of him but I'd sure check out the calves before I made that decision.  I have a halfblood Lowline/Angus heifer that I need to breed this year  (if I don't sell her first) and may consider Bruzer myself.  And, she's a half Lowline so smaller than your average Shortie. I think some breeders may lease Lowline bulls if they've just gotten stuck with too many bull calves but if you're really interested in doing that, I'll try to check out the possibility  Where are you located?  I'm assuming you're interested in a percentage blood Lowline rather than a fullblood?  Also, if you decide to go with  semen, besides TJ's good Doc Holiday bull, I also have semen on ABF Fitz S219 who produced a 'bunch' of halfblood show calves for me.
Dori, we're in Central Texas.  I'll email the owner of Bruzer and check those birthweights.  Do you know the price on the semen?  Since husband and I still work quite abit outside the ranch, its tough doing all that AIing but we will do the heifers, can't decide what to use next year on our big momma clubby cows.  Really wanted something besided solid black.

shortyjock89

Bruzer is technically blue roan, he has white on his belly and I believe there is a bit of roaning there too.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Bruzer is technically blue roan, he has white on his belly and I believe there is a bit of roaning there too.

Agree.  Also, want to add that a close up pic of Bruzer from Denver revealed a lot of scattered white hairs on his neck & head.  He's not as "roany" (if that's a word) as "Short Circuit" (who is close to 50% white & 50% blue), but he's a roan.  Bruzer could definately sire some color.           

shortyjock89

Well roan is roan is roan.  He'll throw as much color as the next blue roan bull.  I like him (Bruzer)a lot more than Short Circuit, I don't think SC ever really came on like I thought he would.

TJ

kobo_ranch said:
Dori, we're in Central Texas.  I'll email the owner of Bruzer and check those birthweights.  Do you know the price on the semen?  Since husband and I still work quite abit outside the ranch, its tough doing all that AIing but we will do the heifers, can't decide what to use next year on our big momma clubby cows.  Really wanted something besided solid black.

I think I saw it advertised at $20 or $25 per straw... 10 straw minimum.  

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Well roan is roan is roan.  He'll throw as much color as the next blue roan bull.  I like him (Bruzer)a lot more than Short Circuit, I don't think SC ever really came on like I thought he would.

Interesting about the roans throwing the same amount of color. 

I agree with you 100% that Bruzer is a whole lot better bull that Short Circuit, not to mention that I was told that they were asking $50 per straw for Short Circuit!  Short Circuit had a nice color pattern & lots of hair, but beyond that, I just wasn't all that impressed with him when I saw him.   

shortyjock89

I saw Short Circuit again at NWSS, and I don't wanna get on here and bash bulls, but I wasn't too impressed. 

dori36

I talked with one of Bruzer's co-owners this morning and here is some more info about him:

in 2008 he sired 32 calves, 1/4 Lowline (remember, Buzer's a halfblood), and out of commercial heifers generally Angus, Shortie, Maine, etc bred.  Average bw of those calves was 65 lbs.  Approx weight of the heifer/ dams was 1000 lbs each.  All 32 were born unassisted.

Bruzer's own bw was 65 lbs.  His dam is 3/4 Shorthorn, 1/4 Maine and weighs somewhere between 1200-1250. 

Glenn is weighing and measuring him this afternoon just for "us".

I've contacted the 'other' co-owner for semen prices, minimum shipment amounts (if there is a minimum req), and his scan and Bovigen results.  Not sure he's dna'd by Bovigen but I'll know pretty quickly.

Here are pictures of 3 of the 2008 calves.

Attachments

• 100_0408.JPG
    100_0408.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_0409.JPG
    100_0409.JPG
    667.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_0410.JPG
    100_0410.JPG
    706.9 KB · Views: 150

MYT Farms

dori36 said:

Dang nice bull there. He is NICE.