Building A Cool Room

Help Support Steer Planet:

Colorado2009

This year, I'm gonna try to talk my dad into building a cool room for the steers, as long as I help and pay for most of it.

We had a 3 stall lean-to that is made out of cement slabs. The roof is metal or tin. We are probably just gonna totally enclose one and somehow insulate the walls then put a air conditioner or swamp cooler on it.

The size of each stall is about 12'-14' X 13'-15'. Is this room big enough for 5-7 calves or should we make 2 rooms?

Also, would a swamp cooler or air conditioner be better to use?

And, would I need to put up some fans as well to keep the air circulating inside?

??? ??? ???
Any input at all will be very helpful. Thanks.

ShowStopper

[size=10pt]For your first question, I believe we give each calf 3-4 feet each. It gives them enough room to lay down but not be jearks and stand sideways. I am also located in CO and we use a swamp cooler. Just one. We do have air conditioners but with the dryness of CO's air, I find them to not be as sucessful in keeping the barn cool. Along with the swamp cooler, we do have fans. Keeps the cool air circulating and also keeps it from getting stuffy in there. I would recommend putting in a drain so you can wash out the shavings and have somewhere for the water to run. I would alos recommend an exhaust fan. With out one, the barn could end up smelling really amonia-ie. Good Luck  (clapping)[/size]

pigguy

OK if i rember right you want to be able to be 4-7 calves in there. i would make 2 of the stalls coolers. i would use a swamp cooler because of the dryness of the air. i would give each calf 4 foot each, or even better just let them walk around. I would put a few fans in there, or if you put an ac in there, put fans and misters in there. An exaust fan would be good but they are kinda pricy. so instead you could keep the calves in there form like 6 am to noon and then let them out to excersise, and water, and leave the door open with the fans on, and then put them back in at 12:30 or 1pm and thne leave them in until it gets dark, and then leave the doors open with everything off, until mornning. Also how thick is the cement?? I work at tarbets cement Co. and they have a huge shop made out of cement, and it stays way cool in the summer? I would probally just insualte the new walls(with like R10), and the roof(with like R30) and the depending on the cements thickness none if it like 6 inches or more  but if less i would say like R5-R10 hopefully i was of some help :-\

Colorado2009

I went out and got the true dimensions and measurements of everything.

The cement that is used for the walls is about 2 inches thick. The stall is 19 1/2 X 19 1/3. And the roofing is made out of 1/16 metal.

The floor in there is dirt so I don't know how'd I'd make a drain.  ???

And I'm thinking about just letting them walk free in there. So, do you think the one stall would possibly be big enough for 4-7 calves?

Also, how big of a swamp cooler would I need to get? Would I need just one or more?

Thanks for all of your help.  ;D

Latest posts