Building up steers backend

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Cattle

I had a friend come over to look at me steer yesterday, and he said my steer needed to build up his backend. He told me that if i put his feed up high, and built a platform he would have to stand on with his front feet in order to eat that it would help build up his back end. I am wandering if this would work,  how high the feed should be, and how big and tall the platform should be. Also is there anything else than i can do to help this. Thanks (thumbsup)

stangs13

I would say the top is built up with about a foot of mulch, then a rubber mat is placed down, then we put shavings down, so about 18 inches up top, then around 6 inches at the base from the concrete to the top of the shavings. But as soon as you add cattle they will paw up the shavings and it varies..but it doesnt need to be to extreme to get results. This will help build stamina. How sound is he? If he isnt the soundest thing dont get the angle to extreme and get him off of the slope at night.

Show Heifer

If your steer isn't 1000% sound, you will end up with a cripple. Short stride and a roached walk. I would be very cautious about using a ramp.

shorthorn boy

I fed my market lambs on a ramp that was set at a little steeper that 45 degrees. It sure helped to build up their hind muscles. I have never heard of this method being used for steers but i would think it would be work a try. As long as they have to stretch (especially their hind muscles) to reach their feed it should help.

chambero

We used to ramp steers in the late 80s and SH is right - you can easily cripple one, particularly on the front end.  A slight incline like the other post mentioned is totally different, but isn't going to give you more muscle.  Tying them on slight inclines helps train them to stand with their back feet spread.

Show Heifer

shorthorn boy said:
I fed my market lambs on a ramp that was set at a little steeper that 45 degrees. It sure helped to build up their hind muscles. I have never heard of this method being used for steers but i would think it would be work a try. As long as they have to stretch (especially their hind muscles) to reach their feed it should help.

The anatomy of a lamb and steer is considerably different. Also, feeding lambs on a ramp has been proven to increase prolapses. That is why many have stopped this and have started to walk their lambs on a chariot.
Also, lambs generally do not have to be "super sound" in the front end to win a show.... But you are right, it has been done, and is done in lambs.

CM Cattle

Well ive got some yes, and some no. He seems pretty sound to me. Could some of you tell from pics if i should do it or not? I can post some tomarrow after school and work if its still light out. Thanks for you input

shorthorn boy

The ramp thing with steers concerns me a too. I wasn't necessarily suggesting a ramp but that something similar to that method could work. That was really what I was trying to get at is that I have only heard of ramps being used for lambs.  Doing something similar like building up a mound of mulch may work. JMO