Bulk Feed Storage

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

I have made the decision to start buying our feed in bulk.  I am planning on bringing in only 2 - 3 months worth at a time. But I was wondering about bugs getting in the feed. Do any of you do something to treat for insects?

common sense

Where do you live?  What kind of quantity in terms of tonnage are you talking?  What type of feed?  I try not to keep my sweet feed around that long in order to keep it fresh but there again it depends on how much you are thinking about keeping.  I have used feed wagons in the past which hold about 3 or so tons at a time but I feed it within a couple of weeks.  It's inside a barn and the flys can be a problem.  I have just purchased several upright poly-bulk bins, the 3.5 ton size, with augers.  That way I can see how much feed is actually left in the bin and it will stop the fly issues. I chose poly because there are no ridges/seams to catch feed.  I think that it really depends on how cold your environment gets and how much feed/type you are planning on keeping for that long.

Jill

I haven't been able to keep any type of feed good for that long we don't store more than a 3-4 week supply.  I don't know about treating for insect, winter would be better than summer, but you would have to do something in this part of the country anyway.

Show Dad

CS - Central KS. 4 ton. I too have gone with the poly bins. Can look from the window to see if it's time to order.

J - You're right and I was thinking warm weather would be the worst. Many neighbors keep feed that long in the winter but buy less in the summer.

We basically are using a corn & oats mix then top dress as we feed. Some will treat a bin for insects if it's going to be empty for a while.

red

We alsways have had trouble w/ mold, feed drying out & bugs when we've bought too much feed. I'd rather keep a fresher supply than have feed that the cattle won't eat or goes bad on us.

Red

DL

Have a poly bin (love it) - get about 2 tons at a time - corn, soybeans etc with molasses - the mill decreases the molasses in the summer - never had a problem with mold or cattle not eating it....sure beats picking up bags of feed  ;D