bull for second calf heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hodgie76

We have  a second calf, one half Simmental, one half Hereford heifer. She is sired by Built Right. She is a red white face that is a little nervous. She is feminine, clean fronted, and sound on her legs. She needs more spring of rib, a thicker top and shorter legs.My bull choices are--- for selling the calf as a replacement female Select Sire's Uno Maas. If we want a calf to sell as a club calf Jesse James. ONE OF OUR SELECTION REQUIREMENTS IS CALVING EASE!!!!!!! As we have other obligations and are not home much. We like all of our calves to have an 85 lb.birth weight or less.DISPOSITION IS ANOTHER IMPORTANT SELECTION TRAIT ON OUR FARM!!!!! I will not spend over $50 on semen. Do you have any other suggestions?

HerefordGuy

Most people call a second calf heifer a cow.  ;D

Since the cow is red and you need better disposition, what about using a Hereford?  719T might be a good choice for muscle and body.

Gators Rule

KAXX said:
In dew time, or goldmine

Personally, I would not go with In Dew Time on a Built Right cow.  Both are sons of Dream On, and I really like both, but not on top of each other.  JMO.    Also, I would come back with PB Simmental if I'm looking to breed for a replacement.  That way, you can target her calf as a three way cross with a different breed.  You can accomplish the same thing with a Hereford bull, but I just prefer the Simmy in this situation.

If going for a replacement heifer, I would try to obtain Lock n Load if you can get semen from him.  I also like Mr NLC Upgrade, and his docility EPDs are in the top 20% of the Simmental breed, so that should assist improving attitudes.    CDI Rimrock is a good looking bull with great CE and BW numbers.  He's young though, so not proven.   

b_kackley

Gators Rule is right. My mistake on In Dew Time. My best calves this year were upgrades. One was 80 the other 77 lbs when born. They grow good and look good.