Bull Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

J2F

Not to be Mr. Obvious but how small is the cow? You could be setting yourself up for a disaster if you start breeding bulls to add frame and size in an 1100 lb cow. IMO. Make sure you check any documented bw.

CAB

Carlson Cattle said:
she is a hairy bear
Without seeing your cow move, one of the repeat problems that I have seen with Hairy Bear sired cattle is that they tend to be IMO too strait & especially off of the rear legs. You may want to evaluate your cow & decide if she needs a bull that may add some set to the rear legs.

Mueller Show Cattle

Carlson Cattle said:
would like paddy o Mally or who made who work? what about I80
Like Quick Fire said, Who Made WHo will not, not that his cows are short, my who cow is moderate frame sized. Paddy O', They are generally a little taller but not as tall as the Hannibal, Full Throttle and Full Flush cows I have seen. I have 2 Paddy O' cows, nice size but my tallest cow is my Full Throttle cow, she is very large framed and when she comes of pasture in late fall early winter she is every bit of 2,000lbs.

Carlson Cattle

Here are a couple of pictures of my hairy bear cow.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1199.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1199.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 148

AAOK

I will try this again...........

What is the breeding of the cow, and what does she need in addition to frame?  What breed dominance are you seeking?

DMCC Polaroid 29S, purebred Maine-Anjou will add frame, bone, & overall extension.

CAB

I'll reiterate after seeing the pic. of your cow, watch the structure issue closely. She appears to at least be on the brink of being too posty legged & possibly a little bold shouldered IMO.

Carlson Cattle

What bull would work sice shes a little posty what bull would so say free her up a little?

RyanChandler

J2F said:
Not to be Mr. Obvious but how small is the cow? You could be setting yourself up for a disaster if you start breeding bulls to add frame and size in an 1100 lb cow. IMO. Make sure you check any documented bw.

Frame size and bw aren't positively correlated.

J

JTM

-XBAR- said:
J2F said:

Frame size and bw aren't positively correlated.
Now that's the silliest thing I have heard all day.  ;) Just kidding, but I am curious as to whether you have any references to scientific studies showing there is no correlation? Or is this a guesstimation based on your experience?