Bull help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Finley Club Calves

We have Angus and Gelveigh/Angus cross cows and I was wondering what bulls you would suggest to use on them? We are trying to start raising club calves.
Thank you,
Whitney Finley ;D

RyanChandler

Since you already have crossbreed cows, you need a prepotent purebred bull. I would suggest a purebred bull of a third breed.  Shorthorn, Hereford, or maybe even a softer made Sim bull.  You're gonna have to decide if you wanna specialize in steers or heifers as no bull will produce contenders of both.

leanbeef

I would second the nomination for a Simmental bull on those kind of cows. I think that'd be a nice blend of genetics to make decent steers and even better heifers. If you really wanna focus on the steer thing, you would probably wanna be pretty particular about the front end on any bull you choose, and that would he true for the Simmie deal. There are some good Simmental bulls that are clubby looking, but that's not what the breed is known for. Your heifers should make really good cows, though.

ROMAX

I would go with WHO MADE WHO,he's a little old skool for nowadays but i think he would do what you want with that cow base.His heifers could be kept or sold(everyone raves about Who cows)his steers would be decent for small county type shows.

Bulldaddy

I would rather go with something out of the Heatwave line.  Using a Simi on Angus will make some nice cows but I don't think you will end up with any competive show steers.  Maybe Heatwave on the Angus and Walks Alone or Monopoly on the Angus X Gelveigh cows.  If you want color maybe Solid Gold or Man Among Boys.