bull ill??

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowman 52

Holiday's  the time when  you hit a snag & need to draw on others expierence. 
  Yearling bull,  off feed,  no temp,  no breathing problems,  gums pink,  eyes clear,  no signs of distress,  attitude ok for yearling bull,  stool hard,  no blood,  kidneys seem to be ok,  passing urine,  weight loss not extreme but not doing well,  never sick a day, on high roughage feed,  or was, 
  Thoughts or what have I missed??

Cowboy

Pard -- if there is no sign of obvious illness like you mention, I -myself -- would be tihnking there is an internal irritation that has thrown him off feed.

Has he been chewng his cud?? If not, even if there is no obvious signs as yet -- I personally would be getting a good magnet in him. The first thing they do when they don't feel good for whatever reason is stop eating. In the case of a small wire -- it will irritate the rumen lineing and he won't want to eat. If left untreated, it iwll eventually penetrate the rumen wall, and from there goes straight to the paricardium. If that is also puntured, it will be far too late by the time you start to see him retaining fluids.

For a few bucks worth of magnet -- it could very well save his life. The fact that his stool is hard is also a tell tale sign, as they will often not drink enough as well!

Good luck with your quest -- TIME is short if it is a wire!!

Terry

jbw

I had a yearling bull do this, I treated him with everything I could.

He died. I had him posted and he had a heart that was twice as big as It should have been. That was one of the most expensive bulls I ever bought. I had him collected, and his calves were junk!

dori36

cowman 52 said:
Holiday's  the time when  you hit a snag & need to draw on others expierence. 
   Yearling bull,  off feed,  no temp,  no breathing problems,  gums pink,  eyes clear,  no signs of distress,  attitude ok for yearling bull,  stool hard,  no blood,  kidneys seem to be ok,  passing urine,  weight loss not extreme but not doing well,  never sick a day, on high roughage feed,  or was, 
   Thoughts or what have I missed??

Maybe hardware?

cowman 52

We mix 2 times a day in the mixing box, not thinking hardware, no swollen brisket, off feed just happened over night,  usually most aggressive at the bunk, Other than vaccinations not a needle in him,  thought Johne' s ,  thought chronic wasting,  thought  ketossis,  but none fit symptoms,  minerals vigrotone, thought maybe nitrate poisioning ,  hay hard to find,  but everything else doing ok,  11 head on feed in the barn,  so just feel I am missing something

Bulldaddy

Hope it's not hardware disease.  Lost a good cow a couple of years ago that way.  Not much you can do once they have symtoms.  Probably worth a trip to the vet.

JBW,

Do you think that your bull had brisket(high mountain disease)??? What altitude was he kept at??? If your bull got it then there is a chance that other calves could get it, that is if you are at high elevation...

Just wondering becuase I dont know too many breeders know about brisket.

Thanks.

ba

Put  the probios or fast track to him in the chute and let the good bugs do there
thing. Get a feed / corn sample and get it checked as this corn for the tear has
myctoxins in it will mess them up.I know first hand what pain this is. You may need
a binder added to the feed like integral 40/90{Kent feed product}

you may

Latest posts