bull not feeling well

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

I have a long yearling bull that started with a problem that I thought was just pink eye approx. 21/2  months ago. I treated the bull for pink eye and he got over that , but since has been having what looks like mucus draining from his eyes and nose, but along with that has developed sores all the way around his eyes that start out as kind of yellowish looking scabs but turn to looking like normal looking scabs. He also has these sores in his nostrils and I assume along his inner nose passage ways. I have treated him with micotil, penicillin, generic LA 200, sulfa boluses, pour and wormed him. He seems depressed & is lethargic. Last week I noticed that while he was walking very slowly to the bunk that it seemed as if his feet or joints were hurting. Anyone have an opinion or two as to what they think that this is and what I should treat with? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Brent

vet tech

Nu-Flor is the best anti-biotic to use on any kind of infection imo.....unless a cows got pinkeye then pen. is the best

[cowgirl_up_47

WRS said:
You don't have any sheep or goats around your place, do you?

It sounds like it could be Malignant Catarrhal Fever, which could be possible if he has been around sheep, particularly young lambs. This link has a lot of info on the infection and signs/symptoms, http://agr.wa.gov/foodAnimal/AnimalHealth/docs/MCFNOV2008.pdf. The Merck Veterinary Manual also has good info, http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/55700.htm

Mucosal Disease also has similar symptoms

WRS

Yes, that's what I was driving at and was concerned about.  We lost one a few years back that had limited contact with a few show lambs.  Symtoms may not show up for many months, but it is deadly. 

Squeek

A little off subject here but can soremouth be spread from sheep to cattle very easily or at all, I.E. through a fence?

CAB

Thanks to all. The bull has not been around any sheep, but the barn that spends alot of time in used to have sheep in it, although it was some years ago, 10-15 years +. Brent

WRS

MCF can only be spread nose to nose, or through a common water tank, etc.  I don't think that's the cause.  Good luck, I hope some stronger antibiotics help. With everything you have given him, you might want to also give some probiotics to put some good "bugs" back into his gut.

DL

Call your vet - the bull needs to be examined - treating him when you don't have a clue what is wrong with him is like pissing in the wind

Hofstatter Farms

CAB said:
I have a long yearling bull that started with a problem that I thought was just pink eye approx. 21/2  months ago. I treated the bull for pink eye and he got over that , but since has been having what looks like mucus draining from his eyes and nose, but along with that has developed sores all the way around his eyes that start out as kind of yellowish looking scabs but turn to looking like normal looking scabs. He also has these sores in his nostrils and I assume along his inner nose passage ways. I have treated him with micotil, penicillin, generic LA 200, sulfa boluses, pour and wormed him. He seems depressed & is lethargic. Last week I noticed that while he was walking very slowly to the bunk that it seemed as if his feet or joints were hurting. Anyone have an opinion or two as to what they think that this is and what I should treat with? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Brent
how many days in a row did you give pen G?  i had a bull last fall with the same symptoms and i hit him with a heavy dose of Excede then a heavy dose of Pen G for 5 days then came back with another blast of excede and it cleared up. also banamine is a cure all, blast him with a dose of flunixin meglumine (banamine), but generic works just as good, it will help with him hurting and any swelling.