Help Support Steer Planet:

Do you have a bull?

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

kanshow

Just wondered how many breeders on here don't even have a bull ..  If you don't, how many cows do you run now & how many would you need before you invested in a bull?   

OH Breeder

This is the way I look at bulls.
We usually keep a dozen or more females on the farm. You figure one cost about 1200-1800 bucks for one year of keep and up keep. If I miss one cow that is 1200 down the drain right out of the gate. If clean up one cow, I have already made my money back on what I could have potentially missed. We always keep a clean up bull.  I have also leased bulls in the past for clean up. Either way it is worth the money in lost calves.

dutch pride

No bull, only 5 or 6 cows. Just do not have the room for a bull. Have leased a bull for insurance in the past as I was looking to move up my cows but have had  all of them catch AI on the first try last two years.

DLZ

linnettejane

we have done both, bought and leased...i prefer leasing...but its pretty hard to find bulls to lease in my area....leased the ai bull outcast a few years back.....also leased year before last, bought a bull to clean up last year, kept him 6 weeks to make sure everything was covered...leasing a bull this year for clean up purposes....only have 7 cows...cant really justify keeping one all year long...and dont really have the space to keep him up 46 weeks out of the year as we keep a pretty tight calving season

JbarL

linnettejane said:
we have done both, bought and leased...i prefer leasing...but its pretty hard to find bulls to lease in my area....leased the ai bull outcast a few years back.....also leased year before last, bought a bull to clean up last year, kept him 6 weeks to make sure everything was covered...leasing a bull this year for clean up purposes....only have 7 cows...cant really justify keeping one all year long...and dont really have the space to keep him up 46 weeks out of the year as we keep a pretty tight calving season
i have 7 as well...and a 2 yr old pb angus bull....i used him last year on my 3 registered cows and all calved dec/jan...he has been " on lease" to my neighbor since last may...hes a commercial guy and has 3 calves so far with aobut 8 more to follow...no sync program, and hes glad to have him ...and its definetly a win win for us both...now ive got a pb maine of my friends at my place to bred 3, and taking him out a the end of the month .....then i have 4 more id like to breed to pb simmi....but i too, am limited as to finding a lease for just 4 cows in june....looking for f1s  next year and muchly prefer natural vs ai....so i may be in a bull  sale/buy/trade mode soon myself.....lookin forward to going home first of april.....maybe work on it a bit then....jbarl

ridge runner

We only run between 20 to 30 cows, but always keep a bull for clean-up.  I agree with OH_breeder, I cannot justify the loss of one missed breeding.  Also keep a tight breeding season and when I miss AI I need the bull to cover it on the next cycle.  I have never had any trouble finding a neighbor to lease our herdbull to when he's not needed on our place.  That helps a bunch in terms of space and upkeep of the bull.  It is a big risk loaning out your bulls, but I have had mostly positive experiences letting our neighbors use ours on their commercial cows.  I only let them go to folks that I know will do their best to care for them.

kanshow

OH Breeder nailed it.  One missed calf justifies the keeping of a bull, IMO.   

Another thing..  We don't keep our bulls on the same farm as the cows all winter.  Then closer to breeding season we bring them back & notice that the cows have a lot stronger heats & maybe some start cycling that wouldn't have otherwise?  Pheremones?  I dunno but there have been years where we didn't bring the bulls back & didn't notice as much activity in the cows.   

aj

I have heard that running bulls fenceline to females will bring them into heats earlier. I'd think you should have one bull on place anyway. Even if you would keep back a calf you raised to keep on hand for a cleanup bull. The one year we kept back a bull as kind of an experiment. He was not impressive to look at,out of a great cow family, 70 # bwt. Ended up using him and his calves blew me out of the water. Its not always a phenotype bulls that become a great breeding bulls. I've had 83 calves so far and 12 of them were half brothers and half sisters matings. Try raising your own herd bulls and give them a chance. Wasn't Trump sold to a commercial guy and then bought back after the first set of calves hit the ground.jmo

racekannon

There is no doubt in my mind about the bull bringing them in and have the data to prove it.  I made a Gomer bull to help my wife with heats in the spring herd while I am baling hay two years ago and use him more and more for example I used him this fall in 20 heifers and bred 1 day one, 2 day 2, 2 day 4, 2 day 5, gave estrumate and bred 2 day 6, and day 7 bred 6.  The rest responded shortly there after and only re bred 3 even using alot of sexed semen having 20 heifers their should be one a day in heat but i constantly breed more the first days after putting in Gomez this time almost half in the first third of cycle.

farmboy

not currently. but we did buy one at the expo. he wasn't at the expo but we found a feller with one forsale for the right price so we went and looked at him. Red Hard Core son