Bull Rental

Help Support Steer Planet:

gmoo

What's a fair price for renting out a Bull for breeding?

MDitmars

We rented a bull last year and paid $20 per cow bred. we ran him on roughly 30-40 head of purebreds so 600-800 for the breeding season. Seemed as reasonable to us, but based on the bull you could probably raise or lower the price.

Cham2135

if you rent from say Lautners its $3000 for like 3 months

ploughshare

I charge 20/cow/month.  The leasor is responsible for care, facilities, and 50% of bull value if the bull is injured or dies. Bull must be returned in good shape.  No charge for junior projects other than care and insurance.

cowboy_nyk

Bred and owned said:
if you rent from say Lautners its $3000 for like 3 months

Quality bulls are worth a minimum of $4,000 here now and the only limit is your pocketbook.  I wouldn't let one of my good bulls leave my yard for less than $1,000 per month.  Not worth the risk otherwise. Plus the leasee would need to insure the bull for full value. 

diamonddls

I agree with nyk that the leases will need to carry full insurance on the bull. Especially in this current market where the bulls start at $4000 and quickly go up. In the case of juniors I would offer to bring their cow into our program to get covered free of charge.

cowboy_nyk

Good point diamonddls, I absolutely have and will offer to let local juniors bring a heifer or two to breed to my herd bulls.  I'd much prefer to pasture a couple extra head than risk injury to a valuable bull.