Bulls that would clean up a udder????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

Does anyone know of any shorthorn bulls that would help clean up the udder?  I have a nice cow, but her udder is a little off.  Just wanting any opinions.

CAB

DL, do you have some Gizmo's in production? Does he stamp the udders as hard as let's say EXT? Ext will flat out fix udders. His sire, 5522, would put a square small teated udder under a cow too.

DL

CAB said:
DL, do you have some Gizmo's in production? Does he stamp the udders as hard as let's say EXT? Ext will flat out fix udders. His sire, 5522, would put a square small teated udder under a cow too.

CAB - all the Gizmos I have seen have beautiful udders, and are incidently fabulous cows. Udder beautification is one of the reasons I decided to use him on my big red cow. ELBEE said he had only seen one "bad udder" on a Gizmo, so I think he pretty well stamps them like EXT but with a far superior attitude toward life. (what's a beautiful udder in a vile tempered cow?) The Gizmos I have seen have all had fabulous temperaments, and my Gizmo heifer gets and A+, hope that helps, DL

CAB

Bad udders are a pet peeve of mine. I'll have to agree , you need to watch the Ext mommas, They are some of the most protective cows I've ever been around, but man I love what the bull can do for fixing up a bad uddered herd!!!

red

I agree CAB, we had an angus cow that had such a huge udder her calf couldn't even nurse. They shipped her off but I remember it was a nightmare.

DL- here I thought you had come up w/ a new way of forecasting udders on new calves. ;)
Red

CAB

Over the years I have owned some pure SH, and they were kinda all over the board as far as udder quality. I owned my 1st pure horns almost 40 years ago now. The 1 thing back then that you could count on was plenty of milk. Can't say that I believe that as much as I once did. Today, you better study, study, study pedigrees B/C some don't cut it. Back in the day, some did have the udders that couldn't stand up long term.

Davis Shorthorns

I have been looking into gizmo for this next go around already, but now I think that I am going to look into him a little harder.

Thanks everyone for your help.

DL

I am delighted with my Gizmo heifer - she is a Jan 6th, picture taken last weekend..I plan on using both Gizmo and his son Wymore again this year (waiting on my WYmore calves) .

Attachments

• Violet 32908 2.jpg
    Violet 32908 2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 354

garybob

CAB said:
Over the years I have owned some pure SH, and they were kinda all over the board as far as udder quality. I owned my 1st pure horns almost 40 years ago now. The 1 thing back then that you could count on was plenty of milk. Can't say that I believe that as much as I once did. Today, you better study, study, study pedigrees B/C some don't cut it. Back in the day, some did have the udders that couldn't stand up long term.
I'm glad, CAB, that YYYYOOOUUUU....can enter things like this on this discussion board, but I can't. I'm not angry with you, just tired of my beliefs not being respected, until, and, unless, someone from Corn Country, or, the East believes the same thing.

And, even then, it's always THEIR idea.
GB

red

she's growing DL! I know I'm using him on my warhorse x Rose cow & the nephew has 2 shorthorns he might use him on.

thanks for the update.

Red

CAB

Thanks GB. Fact of the matter is that I am very frank and straight forward always, and sometimes sarcastic. I can get people excited some. I think that you are underestimating the amount of respect that you have on this board GB. I know that I respect your thoughts and I think that most others do also. You are though somewhat like me by being strong in your beliefs and quite frankly, frank. Please don't stop giving your opinions, they are part of what makes this family fun most of the time. If people get on your nerve, sit out for a little time off. Your friend, Brent, AKA. Cab

red

Gary- no one has ever told you to not express your beliefs. It's only when you say something clearly not true about someone that I get upset. You have to remember that if you can express your opinions than someone else has the same right to express theirs. Many times people have agreed w/ you. please don't take everything so personally. It is not always intended to be directed at you.

As CAB said, we enjoy your opinions. It's just sometimes how they are expressed. But you are you & part of this community & always welcomed.

Red

CAB

Forgot to mention GB, that if you call someone out on this board, you will get a reply. LOL.

P.S. I don't mean that he is calling you out Red @ All, but if you say someone lied or call someone a liar, you will get that cat up off of the floor most times. Thing is, you just have to get thicker skin.

red

CAB said:
Forgot to mention GB, that if you call someone out on this board, you will get a reply. LOL.

P.S. I don't mean that he is calling you out Red @ All, but if you say someone lied or call someone a liar, you will get that cat up off of the floor most times. Thing is, you just have to get thicker skin.

no, I know CAB. I just get upset when people say they aren't allowed to express their opinions. I think we have the most open board in regards to that. The things we all need to remember is that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even you if you disagree w/ them it's still theirs. We just can't have it both ways sometimes. Personaly, would hate a board where all people agree w/ each other.

Red  (welcome)

C-CROSS

We have several Gizmo daughters in production and they all have great udders.  We have flushed our poke daughter 2 times to him and the steers averaged over 4000, I only sold one heifer. Got a little selfish and kept the rest.  I am waiting for 4 more embroys right now out of that cross.  One steer from that cross in 04 was reserve at Ohio state fair, so not only are the heifers neat, the steers are too!!! (clapping)