Buying a Semen Tank

Help Support Steer Planet:

garett

I'm looking into buying a semen tank for the first time and have no idea what to look for or where to look. I just have a few cows for right now so I don't need a huge one. HELP!

DLD

Even the smallest 3 - 4 month tanks hold like 540 units, so semen capacity is secondary to holding time for most people just starting out.

Your best bet is probably to find a semen sales rep in your area.  The ones that work for COBA or ABS (maybe others, too) are probably who you're going to need to service your tank anyway, so they'd be best to buy from.  Those bigger companies are often able to offer special deals because they buy tanks in volume, and they might have some trade-ins available, or otherwise be able to hook you up with a reliable used one.  If that doesn't work call one of the distributors like SEK.

You might find a used one near you on a farm sale, or craigslist, or the classifieds on this site or others.  But if you don't know and trust who you're buying it from it's a crap shoot - it may hold well, or not.  And the last thing you want is to lose hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of semen because of a bad tank.  I'd buy a new one with a warranty if I could.

firesweepranch

We bought ours from Genex, new. I am now glad I did. Recently it started losing nitrogen much quicker than it should. Long story short, it was still under warranty and they brought me a loaner while they shipped my original one back to check it, and replace it if it is bad. Great experience, and my ABS rep fills it and warned us that he thought it was going bad. It normally lasts about 14 weeks, we had it filled mid February and it was down to 5 cm two weeks ago. Genex got right on it.

CAB

I just bought a new tank through Accelerated Genetics and had them ship it to Nichols Cryo Genetics. I bought a Taylor Wharton XT21. It can hold 720 units, holding time is 138 days. Paid $490.00 for it. I followed a MVE Mach -33 tank on E-Bay a couple of weeks ago. It brought $291.00 plus shipping was estimated @ $45.00. Another MVE Mach -33 tank sold a week ago Sunday @ a local sale and brought $200.00. Another Steer Planet member bought it that needed it worse than me so I let that tank go. I thought it was a very good buy. I would have rather bought a tank with a longer holding time, but I fill my own tanks so not as big of a deal as it may be for some.

BadgerFan

Buy a new tank, not a used one.  Get on a regular LN2 fill schedule but check the level yourself routinely.