Buying cows- need help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shebet21

I used to have cows, got out of them some years back because I was a truck driver. My kids are now showing and I want to start a small herd again. My question is this. I've got $20,000 to spend, what route should I take that will get me the most bang for my buck so to speak?  Buy show heifers ( $2000+ ), clubby cows ( $1500-$3000 ), good sound cows with potential if bred to the right bull ( $1000-$1500 )  or some combination of this.  The prices I've shown are basic averages in my area. Thanks

DL

Shebet21  (welcome) and welcome back to the cow world!  IMHO there is nothing better than a good cow- I would buy cows, from a reputable breeder with a good health program and preferably someone involved with or enrolled in the Johne's testing program in your state (why buy someone else's problems?) - I would insist that they be tested negative or for PHA and TH - I would pick a couple of cows with excellent temperaments, a history of fertility and breeding AI, calving annually without difficulty etc of a breed that I liked - in my case Maines or Shorthorns - if you buy bred females next year you will have babies - if you buy show heifers next year you will have show heifers! I would not buy clubby cows - the best way to ruin a cow herd (IMVHO) is to keep the clubby females for replacements...what an exciting proposition! Have fun (clapping) (clapping)

Jill

The 1st thing you need to do is determine what you want out of your cow herd.  Show heifers don't always make good cows and you can have a whole herd of really good cows and not ever produce a heifer you would want to show.  If I were to start from scratch (knowing what I know now) I would start with good solid Maintainer or % Simmi/Angus cows that can be bred to purebred bulls or clubby if you prefer that route.  Another option may be buying 1 or 2 good donor cows that have a proven track record and some high quality recips that would also work for breeding if you wanted that option.  Like DL said, know who you are dealing with and do your research before you spend your money, it may safe you a ton of heartache later.

OH Breeder

If I had to do it all over again, I would have started with Embryo calves. You can buy affordable genetics a a fraction of the price. I am lucky to have found some great folks to do custom embryo work for me. But the genetics I have coming are much more affordable than i could have purchased out right. There is a gamble though. You can buy 4 eggs and not a one stick. Then you can buy 4 and they all stick.

Focus on what your end goal is and find a breeder you repect and can learn to trust or trust. Start small and work your way up. Find what industry you are going to be marketing for. Purebred or crossbred.

steermaker

I agree with OH Breeder about the genetics you can get using embryos.  Only problem is getting someone in our area to work with for beef cattle.  If you can find sound cows, 4-6 years old, I would go that route.  Heifers are nice but sometimes can be hard to get bred that first time, especially if you are relying on AI.  If you can find a sale with bred females you may want to look at those as well, you can find some good 2 for 1 deals.

ELBEE

I would buy cows, from a reputable breeder with a good health program and preferably someone involved with or enrolled in the Johne's testing program in your state (why buy someone else's problems?) - I would insist that they be tested negative or for PHA and TH - I would pick a couple of cows with excellent temperaments, a history of fertility and breeding AI, calving annually without difficulty etc of a breed that I liked -

Lana,Lana,Lana, and all this for 1000-1500?

afhm

Young cows or bred heifers are the way to go.  We bought a bunch of open heifers and it takes too long to start recouping your investment.  If you are buying them as show heifers for your kids, that is a different thing.  There are lots of good cow sales in the next couple of months that have a history of selling quality cows that produce good calves.

DL

ELBEE said:
I would buy cows, from a reputable breeder with a good health program and preferably someone involved with or enrolled in the Johne's testing program in your state (why buy someone else's problems?) - I would insist that they be tested negative or for PHA and TH - I would pick a couple of cows with excellent temperaments, a history of fertility and breeding AI, calving annually without difficulty etc of a breed that I liked -

Lana,Lana,Lana, and all this for 1000-1500?

ELBEE - I read this and thought gosh ELBEE and I think a like and then I realized it was me! Can't I dream? I sure haven't won the lottery!