Calf afraid of fans?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohioteerchick

It's been every bit of 85 all week here in southern Ohio, and the poor steer was panting like crazy, so I put two old fan cage fans on him. Ever since I put them in, he stands in the far corner of the stall where the fans don't reach but when he is close to them he's constantly swishing his tail. I though maybe putting his feed pan close to them, maybe he would get used to them, but instead he tried and stretched all he could to reach his pan and pull it back to him. The next day, he didn't touch the feed at all until I moved it away from the fans about an hour later. Are the fans maybe on too high for him? I know he's been in front of fans before I got him, he and three other calves had large turbo fans on them.

And I recently purchased misters for my good fans, and I'm new to using them. How often do you guys use them?

Ohioteerchick

Oh, and I have updated pictures of my steer, opinions are welcome. And yes, he needs clipped. I have that planned for next weekend!

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 264

CANsteer

would you be able to tie him up while he is under the fans? that way he can't get away from them

frostback

Can you move them farther away so he can slowly get used to them, then just keep getting closer with them.

CANsteer

frostback said:
Can you move them farther away so he can slowly get used to them, then just keep getting closer with them.
I think in this case, "tough love" is the best option. I have the same problem with one of my steers. I my case, he hides right under the fans so he's out of the "air stream". I tie him so that he is in the path of the fan and he can lay down while I'm at school. put a feed tub in front of him like he's at a show. If you are worried about them being thirsty during the day, it won't take long for him to figure out that he needs to drink up before you tie him for the day.

knabe

CANsteer said:
frostback said:
I think in this case, "tough love" is the best option. I have the same problem with one of my steers. I my case, he hides right under the fans so he's out of the "air stream". I tie him so that he is in the path of the fan and he can lay down while I'm at school. put a feed tub in front of him like he's at a show. If you are worried about them being thirsty during the day, it won't take long for him to figure out that he needs to drink up before you tie him for the day.

seen a steer hang himself.  i wouldn't leave him unattended.  no one had a knife and he hung himself in 5 minutes or less.

Latest posts