Calf Breaking Question???????

Help Support Steer Planet:

CMANGUS

We have an Iron Mtn Heifer that is a January 2012 model---she is being rather not nice when it comes to breaking her.  Ties fine no problems can leave tied and she stands like a trooper, but when you go to lead her she might lead ok for awhile and then she throws her head around and tries to bull you over and just be stupid.  Been working with her daily for a month now and not getting any better, any suggestions or things to try to fix this would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

GoWyo

Are you keeping pressure on her lead all the time when leading?  If so, she may be looking for a way to relieve the pressure.  When she is tied, she seems to know not to pull back.  When you lead her, try making sure to totally drop the pressure on the lead when she steps the right direction.  Just lead a step at a time releasing the pressure every time she takes a step in the right direction.  Have seen some cattle that are really sensitive to the halter and when they walk a few steps without getting a release of the pressure they figure to heck with it and try to run away or run over their handler.

Try pretending your lead rope is 8 lb. test fishing line (i.e. you can only put that much pressure on her) and see if she gets any better.  I would work her in a small pen with the standard 6 or 8 foot lead and use a longer lead if in a larger pen so that if she decides to try and run off you can let her have a little rope so it isn't a tug of war (which she will win) and then reel her back in when she stops her run.  Remember to give her relief from pressure from the halter when she moves in the direction you are asking. 

Maybe posting a video would help us see what is going on.

bruiser

check under her chin. If she's got a big knot (sore) or an open wound (really sore) it would be smart to stop. We had one the same way and the knot under her chin was really tender. We stopped for a couple weeks and then started again with better results.

vwshorthorns

You're getting alot of good advice, especially from GoWyo.  I would also suggest applying some O-NO-MORE (calf claimer powder), manufactured by Springer Magrath, to your pant leg or cotton gloves or both.  You have to dampen with water first then rub a little on, they just love it 99% of the time and it makes them comfortable around you and even intrigued with you every time you come back.  It's kind of fun for the kids, too! 

Quello

GoWyo said:
Are you keeping pressure on her lead all the time when leading?  If so, she may be looking for a way to relieve the pressure.  When she is tied, she seems to know not to pull back.  When you lead her, try making sure to totally drop the pressure on the lead when she steps the right direction.  Just lead a step at a time releasing the pressure every time she takes a step in the right direction.  Have seen some cattle that are really sensitive to the halter and when they walk a few steps without getting a release of the pressure they figure to heck with it and try to run away or run over their handler.

Try pretending your lead rope is 8 lb. test fishing line (i.e. you can only put that much pressure on her) and see if she gets any better.  I would work her in a small pen with the standard 6 or 8 foot lead and use a longer lead if in a larger pen so that if she decides to try and run off you can let her have a little rope so it isn't a tug of war (which she will win) and then reel her back in when she stops her run.  Remember to give her relief from pressure from the halter when she moves in the direction you are asking. 

Maybe posting a video would help us see what is going on.
<rock> <beer>

barngoddess

I agree with the above posters about releasng pressure on her once she takes a step. If you're just doing one constant pull she's gonna get real sick of that real fast. It seems to me like leading her is the issue, but if she has an attitude towards people in general, try tieing her to a post for a few days and carry her water and hay by hand. We have done this to several of our calves and it works like a charm. We once had a steer that as soon as he'd see you, he'd try and jump over the nearest gate. Once we did this for a week, he calmed right down and ended up being a total kitten. Sometimes giving them some TLC doesn't hurt.

I DO NOT suggest a donkey at all. Have heard too many horror stories of donkeys kicking animals to death.

Good luck!