Calf Calmers

Help Support Steer Planet:

bcosu

i don't know if it has a withdrawal time or not. i know it has tryptophan in it (the same stuff in turkey that makes you tired). it is kind of frowned upon but i have used it jackpot shows, never at a terminal market show though just for the reason of the withdrawal time.

simtal

cbcfarms said:
i don't know if it has a withdrawal time or not. i know it has tryptophan in it (the same stuff in turkey that makes you tired). it is kind of frowned upon but i have used it jackpot shows, never at a terminal market show though just for the reason of the withdrawal time.

Not to highjack the thread, but the idea of tryptophan making people tired is the biggest lie ever told.  The reason you feel tired is from all the carbohydrates consumed at a big meal and the effect of your body's insulin kicking in.

Cattledog

simtal said:
cbcfarms said:

Not to highjack the thread, but the idea of tryptophan making people tired is the biggest lie ever told.  The reason you feel tired is from all the carbohydrates consumed at a big meal and the effect of your body's insulin kicking in.

Well many nutritionists do say tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor to Serotonin (a neurotransmitter).  Serotonin, in turn, can be converted to melatonin.  I think Melatonin has proven itself as a pretty safe sleep aid.  While you could be very well correct that the carbohydrates could very well be part of what makes you tired.  However the Tryptophan is what triggers the chemical reaction to produce Melatonin. 

It may not be true that tryptophan makes you tired, but it very well could lend a helping hand in the event of sweet slumber.

the_cowgirl_in_me

I'm just looking for something that can be used to calm a steer that has little to no withdrawl time on it.

OH Breeder

Cattledog said:
simtal said:
cbcfarms said:

Well many nutritionists do say tryptophan functions as a biochemical precursor to Serotonin (a neurotransmitter).   Serotonin, in turn, can be converted to melatonin.  I think Melatonin has proven itself as a pretty safe sleep aid.  While you could be very well correct that the carbohydrates could very well be part of what makes you tired.  However the Tryptophan is what triggers the chemical reaction to produce Melatonin. 

It may not be true that tryptophan makes you tired, but it very well could lend a helping hand in the event of sweet slumber.

YOu both are right. L-tryptophan by itself will not make you sleepy. It is converted into Serotonin which is a mood elevator and is responsible for calming. But it is attached to protein. So L-tryptophan can really only make a person tired right away if it is eaten or taken by itself without any amino acids. Amino acids are the "building blocks" for the proteins that make up our muscles and other important parts of our bodies. Commonly at Thanksgiving we eat high starch and carbs.

CATTLENUT

as someone who has bin put on a low carb diet by my doctor,I find this thread very interesting. Is anybody else on low carb diet? I have really enjoyed bacon and eggs fryed in butter and now veiw my cows as carb converters. sorry, didn,t mean to hijack this tread.

Cattledog

CATTLENUT said:
as someone who has bin put on a low carb diet by my doctor,I find this thread very interesting. Is anybody else on low carb diet? I have really enjoyed bacon and eggs fryed in butter and now veiw my cows as carb converters. sorry, didn,t mean to hijack this tread.

This thread has been hijacked and then hijacked again! (lol)

Jill

The calf calm sold by Sullivans doesn't have a withdraw time, but I don't know that it works that well either.

Cowboy Up

We have tried Sullivans stuff, it works ok. We used to use some stuff called ACE, but it is something dad used to use and IDK if you can even get it anymore.

bcosu

i have heard questions about the dependability of ACE. i have seen people use thorazine and that works but i am not sure if you really want to be caught giving any of that stuff. there's always various types of alcohol you can administer, i've heard that works pretty well, but i have had no experience with it myself.

bcosu

simtal said:
I'm surprised the "ace and throazine" police haven't showed up yet

i was kind of scared to admit that i even knew about that stuff...

LN

I don't think calf calm would have a withdrawal time since it's made from natural products. However, I never liked calf calm. IMO just a waste of money.

the_cowgirl_in_me

Is there anything along the same lines as the calf callmer that will work in the same way. Needs to have little/no withdrawl time.

red

I've had good luck w/ Calf Calm. you need to give it to them before they get riled up. No withdrawl time. I think it also helps the kid showing & gives them more confidence. We've also told the shower that it was given because he felt every calf need it. He had no trouble w/ calf. Placebo affect?

LazyGLowlines

We've tried calf calm too and found it was a waste of money. I was at a Stierwalt clinic a couple years ago where Kirk mentioned using melatonin from Walmarts.  Took massive dose, but worked.

CJC

Melatonin is also suppose to grow hair. Ace and Rompem are good; but I think it is illegal (as in showing) to use them. Check the rules of the show you are going too.