Calf Color?

Help Support Steer Planet:

crzyrocknT

We have been trying to figure out what color calf our shorthorn plus heifer is going to have. It's turned into a contest almost.  So I figured I would try and get some opinions here.

Her dam was a dark blue roan with a white belly, and her sire was HardLine.  She is bred to Jesse James.

DSC00171_zps32a66172.jpg

blackdiamond

arguement could be made for blue roan, or white... but the best option would be black/ white mixed.

Warrior10

I will say calf will be mostly black with a little white mixed in on belly and legs/feet! Goodluck with Jesse James, we used him on our heifers due this spring!

OH Breeder

If you are going shorthorn plus here are your color options....

*Color: Standard colors are listed below with abbreviations - must be completed
Technically by what you have as options below you would have a black roan.
But if it were me the color spot is big enough to write in color. I would put white with black marks.

*Color: Standard colors are listed below with abbreviations - must be completed
Red - Red
White - White
B/W/M - Black with white marks
R/W - Red and White
Bl Roan - Black Roan
Tan - Tan
R/W/M - Red with white marks
Blk - Black
Oran - Orange
Roan - Roan
Grey - Grey

crzyrocknT

And the color was.....

Yes I know bad picture, but it does shows her color...
I guess you would call it brown, she does have a white belly.. maybe she will shed out to a different color, who knows, just glad she was born alive with all the right parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 166

lightnin4

I have a shorthorn plus that was similar in color when she was born.  I have angus too, so she reminded me of a sunburned black angus calf.  I call her black, but she still has a reddish tint to her hair.

crzyrocknT

I've noticed that there are alot of Shorthorn raisers on here., so maybe the better question for me to ask is: What to bred her to this year?  Not looking for anything in particular, if we can raise a show quality animal great, we have a 9 year old that loves to show.  If not feeders are worth a pretty penny these days too.
She is a TH carrier.

Mainevent

It depends upon your desired calf, are you looking to stay clubby or looking to go purebred shorthorn? I think you would be better off staying clubby especially depending on her percentage. I would look at something like a Amen? maybe add some middle and some muscle.

Warrior10

crzyrocknT said:
I've noticed that there are alot of Shorthorn raisers on here., so maybe the better question for me to ask is: What to bred her to this year?  Not looking for anything in particular, if we can raise a show quality animal great, we have a 9 year old that loves to show.  If not feeders are worth a pretty penny these days too.
She is a TH carrier.
I-80, The Maine Man, Dirty Harry 2, Tiger Woods.

OH Breeder

crzyrocknT said:
I've noticed that there are alot of Shorthorn raisers on here., so maybe the better question for me to ask is: What to bred her to this year?  Not looking for anything in particular, if we can raise a show quality animal great, we have a 9 year old that loves to show.  If not feeders are worth a pretty penny these days too.
She is a TH carrier.

If you are shooting for shorthorn by breeding to purebred shorthorn you will upgrade the calf from her 25% and have a chance of getting some pretty good colors. There are definitely a ton of different types of shorthorn genetics out there. You have performance genetics and some middle road and some show genetics. WIth her being a carrier will help you make a decision. What direction are you wanting to go with shorthorns. i am assuming by your statement- show calves?

crzyrocknT

OH Breeder said:
crzyrocknT said:
She is a TH carrier.

If you are shooting for shorthorn by breeding to purebred shorthorn you will upgrade the calf from her 25% and have a chance of getting some pretty good colors. There are definitely a ton of different types of shorthorn genetics out there. You have performance genetics and some middle road and some show genetics. WIth her being a carrier will help you make a decision. What direction are you wanting to go with shorthorns. i am assuming by your statement- show calves?

If I'm going to breed Shorthorn/shorthorn plus I would want to go for more of a replacement hfr/show animal., only beause around here (NE Nebraska), colored up animls are just not as marketable as feeders, usually bring less than all black more tradtitional colored calves.  I knew buying her was a gamble on what her offspring were going to be, but I spent $800 on her, so at the time it was a no brainer.

OH Breeder

Cow Chaser said:
What about TM GUS 36S

This is just me, but, I would use Gus on female that is pretty moderate and deeper bodied. He can produce some larger cattle. I like what he did for me. Do you have an updated photo of the female in question? IF you are trying to get an occasional show calf but want replacement females and something that will feed and produce there are bloodlines geared more that direction verses purely show ring appeal. Again no one has ever accused me of being the brightest light bulb in the pack. We try to use genetics that are practical but can have that appeal for show ring.