Calf Cool Room

Help Support Steer Planet:

Crowlett1053

I am buliding a new show barn and need an idea for the cheapest option on a cool room/ cooler any ideas??

stithka

My room has a concrete floor with a drain, 4 inch thick walls with six inches of R-30 insulation packed in there, and is 12x13.  We run a 24000 btu AC unit with a cool bot.  It keeps one steer at about 40 degrees all summer. It is relatively cheap (125) on utilities. We are very happy with it

LLBUX

'Packing six inches of R30 into a 4 inch wall'(probably 3 1/2") decreases the efficiency of the insulation by over 50%. 

I hope you used vapor barriers and waterproof interior panels so the insulation does not get wet.  It is worthless then and will harbor mold.

12-15" of insulation on the roof will help, as will limiting any sun exposure.

3 1/2 inches of foam(best if sprayed on) insulation would work well for walls. (2 x 6 walls with 5 1/2 inches of foam are even better)

Do you have a door that opens automatically if power goes out?   

Do you have a fan that exchanges air (and therefore moisture).

Tallcool1

LLBUX said:
'Packing six inches of R30 into a 4 inch wall'(probably 3 1/2") decreases the efficiency of the insulation by over 50%. 

I hope you used vapor barriers and waterproof interior panels so the insulation does not get wet.  It is worthless then and will harbor mold.

3 1/2 inches of foam(best if sprayed on) insulation would work well for walls. (2 x 6 walls with 5 1/2 inches of foam are even better)

That is pretty much exactly how we built ours as well.  6" insulation in 4" walls.  We did use vapor barrier to keep it dry.

We run 2-24,000 BTU window AC units with cool bots.  You don't need an air exchange system with window AC units.  A window unit is in essence a de-humidifier.  We will get 15 gallons of moisture per day out of our cooler. 

I wish we had an automatic door, but we don't.  We just kind of babysit the cooler all day.  Check it every couple hours throughout the day.

stithka

LLBUX said:

The window unit removes moisture. And yes there is s vapor barrier. Please don't judge our room. We have never had any problems and it is much cheaper than what you suggest. Additionally, the "automatic door" in case of emergency is grandad who lives very close and will check frequently. Our system works. Plenty of hair. And lower utility bills mean I can spend more on calves.