calf nursing question

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

We had a calf born Tuesday afternoon. He nurses fine on the back teats of the cow but the front teats are somewhat larger and he does not seem to want to or be able to get those two in his mouth. Will he eventually get it as he gets older? Will it pose a problem for the cow if the front two quarters do not get nursed right away? Any other suggestions? Thanks

DLZ

OH Breeder

dutch pride said:
We had a calf born Tuesday afternoon. He nurses fine on the back teats of the cow but the front teats are somewhat larger and he does not seem to want to or be able to get those two in his mouth. Will he eventually get it as he gets older? Will it pose a problem for the cow if the front two quarters do not get nursed right away? Any other suggestions? Thanks

DLZ
We have one like this that we milked her down some and til the teets were smaller. Now he eats on four. I am pretty sure nature will take its course.

showgirl2010

You can milk them down if she is easy to handle that is what I would do.  If she is going to throw a fit I would let it go and the calf will eventually get to the other two teats.

Jamie

dutch pride

Went out to check them out again tonight and he has one of the front quarters sucked out now. I assume he will get the other one soon.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

DLZ