Calf personalities help!

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

ok help me out guys.  I know every calf is different but I'm looking at 2 heifers for my daughter....ones a Dr. Who and ones a Direct Hit.  I've never had any calves out of either of them.  Don't panic the Direct hit is clean.  What I'm wondering in general...which of the above bulls calves are generally the better temperment.  Do any of you have any females in production out of either???  Thanks! They are at a reputable breeder out of outstanding PB Maine cows.

red

didn't you say one was really cowy & the other more a show heifer? Which better fits your needs?
Direct Hits seem to make good moms from my experience.

Red

justme

One is really clubby...the other is real "breedy".  Both can be reg. chi and maintainer.  Which is nice.  They are both awesome and I think personality will play a part in this

showcattlegal

what do you want in your cow heard after you show her? The clubbie heifer might show better while there young but won't do as well when they are older.

OH Breeder

All right here is my humble and minimal experience with both.
I have a show heifer that calved this year to Gizmo that is a Direct Hit x Mr Corrector (simmi) that is phenomial. She is one of the best heifers in my herd. Could not ask for a better mother. Lots of rib, nice small udder milks well and is like many retired show heifers, follows you round the pasture looking for a brush or bucket of grain. Her heifer calf is one of the biggest teddy bears we have ever had. She is already following in her mothers footsteps. She waits at the pen door for her halter to go the wash rack. Follows you around in the run and is totally kid broke. Can post  picture of both if you like. Gizmo was a good choice!
We also have a Direct Hit steer. He is gaining good and his temperment is also great. He on occassion will test the leader of the rope, but is easy keeper.

The flip side, I have a Partis Over550 daughter x Dr. Who bull calf, and with the genetics he should be OUT of this world. BUT, he is the worst calf in the bunch. He also is NUTZ! He is headed to the sale barn in a couple of weeks. He is poorest looking thing, short neck , sloped hips, shallow ribbed and again a basket case.

Showcalves

We have been told (and have observed it a bit this year) that the Dr. Who's will make terrific mommas but they also have a bit of attitude.  Ours has been to 15 or so shows and can still get her panties in a wad over something.  We've been told that's the Dr. Who in her coming out.  Trust me that it's not from a lack of work with the boy.

No experience with Direct Hits. 

Remember that calves will still change A LOT over the next 60 to 90 days.  The recent heat here in MO has been rough on some of our calves but we're doing some things to help them and the mommas out.  By fall, they will look completely different.  I think I recently read that by 7 months a heifer will be 80% of her mature frame size. 

Melinda

cowz

My little one showed a Dr. Who steer last year.  He was a real pet at home...followed him around, licked his hand all the time.  He really was a sweetie!  However, he could "get his panties in a wad"  if frightened.  Unfortunately, the class at the county fair turned into a rodeo....half of 12 calves got away....so he thought he had to also.  I think I posted about trying to build up the confidence to get ready for state fair.  He really worked at "being the boss" and the steer did fine at state fair.

Long story short, I would show a Dr. Who again.  This one was very sound, fed well.  As far as building a herd, the Dr. Who calves are still in good demand out here!  Let us know what you decide!

Jill

I have never had any experience with the Direct Hit calves.  The red heifer that Logan showed the year before last from Majors was a Dr. Who, they had a great time we love her, she showed very well, never had any issues with attitude, we showed her as a Chi because the Maine division is so tough here in Kansas but she was also a purebred Maine so we were able to show at the Jr. show.  We bred her to Hard Core and she had a calf that is a carbon copy of herself, good mother good udder not aggresive,  the calf she had is an absolute puppy dog.  We were impressed enough with her that we flushed one of our donors to Dr. Who, so I would say we would do Dr. Who again.
I guess in my book the bull really wouldn't be the deciding factor, the breeder should be able to tell you by this point what the personality of each of the calves are.  With heifers we usually show 2, 1 a little more clubby and 1 more cowy that way we are covered for most judges, if I had to choose I would select the one that would make the best cow.