Calf pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

Everyone loves baby calf pics, so heres one. This guy is out of our herd bull (a Trump X Augusta Pride 3127 grandson) and a Leader the 13th cow. Born Jan 27. We are going to leave him a bull for a little while and see how he turns out, he was 72 lbs unassisted out of a first calf heifer that had been fed pretty hard. Either way he is going to be for sale!!!  He has a pretty good hip and good bone. He is as sound as one gets at his age.

Attachments

• DSC_0275 sp.jpg
    DSC_0275 sp.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0302 sp.jpg
    DSC_0302 sp.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0304 sp.jpg
    DSC_0304 sp.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 175

Jacob B

He looks good.  It would be hard for me to buy a bull out of a first calf heifer that is unproven, unless that genetic match has been poven over and over again in the past.  Either way, he looks pretty cool right now, what's the cow?

Cattledog

Jacob B said:
He looks good.  It would be hard for me to buy a bull out of a first calf heifer that is unproven, unless that genetic match has been poven over and over again in the past.  Either way, he looks pretty cool right now, what's the cow?

I disagree...if the bull is out of a first calf heifer and performs well that is positive to her mothering ability.  If you take an average number of calves out of cow(disregarding embryo transplant) you are probably looking at an average total of 8 to 9 calves on a female that has some longevity.  When do you say she is consistent enough?  Then you bring the different sires into the picture and sort through all of that. 

I look at them as an individual.  I don't have a problem with a first calf heifer's first calf. 

ShowmanQ

Thanks for all the comments.

Jacob B said:

The cow to this calf is out of a Leader 13th son from Steinkes and an HO Easy Street cow.

Does anybody have need for a January steer? Not sure we could find someone around here looking for one that age. Thinking about keeping him a bull, but if we had someone who wanted him as a steer that would be fine. Probably ending up keeping him a bull for a bit whiletrying to sell him, that way we can leave it up to the buyer.

CPL

Very nice calf Q! I agree, a bull(or any calf for that matter) out of a first calf heifer would not shy me away

clubcalve

CPL said:
Very nice calf Q! I agree, a bull(or any calf for that matter) out of a first calf heifer would not shy me away
I agree that I have showed many calves out of first calf hiefers very nice bull could be........... 

ShowmanQ

I cannot wait until weaning time. I always love bringing the new calves in and getting them all spiffed up for the first time O0

ShowmanQ

Jacob B said:

I am considering selling him as a bull for the simple fact that his pedigree is not what I consider to be that of a "new age" steer prospect, may be a little too "old school" for that. I also consider a TRUE 72 lb birth weight out of a hard fed first calver to be pretty good, not to mention that all of the other calves from this same bull have been 72-80 lbs out of hard fed females. This is the first bull calf we have had out of this sire, he is the odd man out with all the heifer calves.

OH Breeder

Nice calf Q.Looks like he has some hip and some bone.
Post momma and poppa's registration numbers if you do'nt mind or you can PM me with them. Let me look a little harder at his pedigree.

ShowmanQ

OH Breeder said:
Nice calf Q.Looks like he has some hip and some bone.
Post momma and poppa's registration numbers if you do'nt mind or you can PM me with them. Let me look a little harder at his pedigree.

Here ya go...
Sire: *x4114815
Dam: *x4119687

OH Breeder

Momma is a decendant of KA'BA ROSE T90. Looks like she has some good genes. Very interesting pedigree.Lots of CF breeding on the bottom side of momma's pedigree. Mix of older and newer genetics in this guy.

j3cattleco

What about TH and PHA see a few carriers in his pedigree and just wondering if momma and daddy have been tested.  He looks really good!  Good Job!!

ShowmanQ

Poppa has been tested clean, momma has not been tested, but supposedly both of her parents were tested clean although I do not know that first hand so this calf will be tested.