calf problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

Joe Boy

My blue roan had a heifer calf this morning about 6:30.  I left them alone in the pasture about 1/2 mile from the barn.  At 8:30 momma brought her calf to the barn.  When the calf lays down the rear leg that is up is always moving.  It is like she is kicking or trying to scratch flies.  I have never seen a baby do this.  Also, it does not matter if she is on the right or left side the up leg is a moving.  She is very beautiful and a blue roan with not as much white as her momma, but momma was not as white as she is now.  I am thinking of naming her Frosty because of the white hairs on the edge of her ears just like a lite frost.  At 95 degrees there will be no frost today.  Or I will name her after my aunt in the rest home who has a birthday today.  My aunt is not crippled up but has the most beautiful disposition of anyone 89 you will ever meet.... 

I really cannot tell if the calf nursed or not as the mother is such a good milker....  The sire is 258127.

I was thinking it might need a shot of A D & E, since we do not have anything green for the cattle to eat in the last month.  It is so dry here that the grass and pastures look like we have had a big freeze, which in reality would have been better than the real hot temps we are facing.

Show Heifer

If your worried about the sucking reflex try R'covr.  I had my vet tell me this and he has had great luck with it.
I AM NOT a VET. I DO NOT PRETEND TO BE A VET!!!!
Maybe DL will get on and offer some advice, but the vit's wouldn't hurt anything!!

Also remember to give it Alpha 7!!!

Good luck!

Joe Boy

Thanks.

She was NOT doing this after lunch and had eaten her dinner real well.  She seems to want to move her leg when I rub her back, somewhat like a dog.  She is very beautiful.

red

love to see pictures Joe Boy, love those blue roans!
Hope she's doing better. could it be a pinched nerve?

Red

shorthorns r us

red said:
love to see pictures Joe Boy, love those blue roans!
Hope she's doing better. could it be a pinched nerve?

Red

here's a crazy marked one for you.

PA030309.jpg

Show Heifer

Beautiful baby Joe Boy!!! Looks like all is well!!!! Couldn't be happier for you!!! (clapping)