Calf Problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond

Had a calf born that's having problems with her left hind leg, as you can see by the photo, shes bending to the side. The hock is also popping forward, she is up, nursing on her own, and walking around. The vet told me that it can happen in larger calves, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do for her, I have never seen this befor and im at a loss of what to do for her.

Attachments

• leg.gif
    leg.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 613

irh

You need to get a splint put on her, they have them in the PBS books. 

Dyer Show cattle

If you do splint it, make sure to use a lot of guaze to pad it so it does not rub and leave a sore or get infected. If it does that your worse off than leaving it alone.

cowman

Diamond said:
Had a calf born that's having problems with her left hind leg, as you can see by the photo, shes bending to the side. The hock is also popping forward, she is up, nursing on her own, and walking around. The vet told me that it can happen in larger calves, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do for her, I have never seen this befor and im at a loss of what to do for her.

Holy *!<>*!

Get some kind of support on that leg asap. If the tendons are the problem, only time will tell. Either way the joint has to have stability or the tendons won't have a chance.

Dyer Show cattle

Found one here......http://www.enasco.com/product/C27127N#

But when I do it I use a piece of plastic 3-4 inch round conduit thats about 1/4 to half inch thick and that is split in half and about 1.5-2ft long. Then pad it with guaze and tape it up really well. Check with your local vet they usually have something. You are prob wanting to get it done quick and not wait around on something being shipped to you.

cpubarn

I have a calf with the same symptoms born a couple of days ago.

Vet said he had no idea, to put her down.  She is also a large calf.  I undeetstand how to splint the front legs, how do I do theese rear ones?

mark

husker1

We've had a couple and ours grew out of it on there own....I think they stretch tendons calving....or are lying wrong in the cow.

siggyl67

We had one born last month that did this same thing.  We took her to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong.  So we took her home, kept a eye on her and it seems to have gotten a lot better. 

irh

Diamond,  The website is pbsanimalhealth.com  1-800-321-0235 also try Nasco Animal Health, but I can't find my book for a website.  We had a calve once that had a bad leg and we made our own split and yes you have to pad it with foam or something.  We got him up to a 1000lbs, at least we had the meat.  Good Luck!

Bradenh

well i dont think its going to be the next show calf. but ive seen dogs runnin around with a leg gone so im sure if the calf is up and nursing and doing fine and the vet said its not nessicery to  put it down. then just let it be. we had a calf whose mama stepped on his leg when he was born and smashed his hoof, now he only has half of a hoof on one foot but gets around fine and after 4 months doesnt even limp any more, hes going on that truck and will bring home some money in august with these cattle prices. id say just watch how it goes

Diamond

I ended up getting a pro series hock splint geared for cross country horses and it seems to be helping. Had another vet say it could be genetic, but I would think this is just a fluke. I havent had issues with her offspring befor now, and I havent heard of any problems like this with the sires other calves. Im hoping she will come out of it, but I guess only time will tell.