Calf Puller

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

A strong wife who doesn't mind getting dirty and getting up at all hours of the night.

OH Breeder

My vet used a Dr. Frank's calf puller dual action. It was nice and it was cheaper than the one's from TSC. I just ordered one and am praying we don't have to use it.

For those of us who don't know what "stone" means, maybe you could elaborate. Is that a brand or someone who carries them or are you tieing cows to stones?

We use to never have to use one OB chains were enough. I had a breach birth I couldn't get out and my vet put his puller on it and had him out in 15 minutes.

justa cowman

Stone they are referring to is the brand I also would recomend the stone puller I would also suggest watching the pulling video on midwest beef consultants site Dr. Mark Hilton of Purdue he does a great job and some who have pulled dozens of calves may pick up something very valuable

Show Steaks

i've always been told the kind that allowing you to hook each calf leg seperatley onto the puller is best and have the dual action puller where it pulls one leg then other and back and forth, slowly "wiggling" the calf out

Cowboy

That would be the Stone Manufacturing "Ratchet Pull" model. As mentioned, it pulls by alternating each leg a little at a time.

CAREFULL though -- these things -- and I do have one of them, are big and heavy. There are times when you really need to remember to keep the weight off them a little -- and not get to fast on your draw -- PUN.

They are strong enough to pull an elephant out of a jackrabbit -- not saying you'll have a rabbit left when done, but it CAN happen!

STONE Manufacturing

Terry

Hofstatter Farms

i strongly recommend willman calf puller. I used a stone until our neighbor lost his finger when the ratchet system broke. My vet told me that he wasn't the first one that it happened to. the willman is expensive but will last forever, our vet has had the same one for as long as i can remember.

carl s.

Cowfarmer65, how do you select for bulls that never throw breeched calves?

SEA

BIGTEX said:
A strong wife who doesn't mind getting dirty and getting up at all hours of the night.

LOL  Don't I wish!

frostback

Cowfarmer65 said:
The best calf puller you'll get is none at all..........Choose your sires carefully and your replacement females even more carefully........My puller I bought in the 80's has never been used.........I guess I'm lucky.

Wouldn't that be nice. But here in the real world sometimes things dont go the way you plan.  It only takes one calf to help and that thing pays for itself. Make sure you know how to use it though.

jbw

I have used a few different ones. I don't care for the ratchet type personally, I have had problems with them malfunctioning. I really like the ones that have a dual action ratchet and cable.  I like the cable so I can push on it when the cow pushes. I feel that I have a pretty good FEEL of what is going on and can control then tension better.  They all work when you don't have anything else!

Shady Lane

I have a Dr. Frank's puller,

I've used a similar puller to pull LOTS of Charolais calves and learned to be pretty good with it.

Can't say I have ever seen the cable puller that you all mention?

Hilltop

We made a home made one quite a few years ago. Bought a jack from a old VW (punch buggy) and a chunk of 3/4" rod.Spent $20 tops then. Only used a few times but worked really good. Ratchets back and forth just like a calf puller and has a quick release. Would never put on a heifer though!! Would be a lot cheaper!