Calf sale results

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Thought I would share of few of my herds stat's....not sure if they are good or not, but for those that want to know:

The three bull calves I saved as bulls gained between 3.6 and 4.1 pounds per day of their lives. Their mommas weaned off between 56-68% of their weight.

My replacement heifers gained between 3.2 and 3.9 pounds per day of their lives.  Their mommas weaned off 46 to 62% of their body weight. 

My calves that I sold at the salebarn averaged 3.7 pounds per day, and their mommas ranged from 43 to 55% of body weight.

And that is if I figured everything right!!!!

Another thing I found interesting: last year I didn't creep feed. this year I did for 40 days. I gained 58 pounds per calf over last year.  And "made" approximately $190 on the feed (total cost of feed  minus the extra weight times the price per pound the calves sold for). That is NOT considering the fact I kept 10 calves that ate creep but didn't get sold yet to "pay" for it.

Hope everyone is having a safe harvest, and that all the wagons are overflowing!!! (clapping) Makes for cheap feed ya know!!!! ;D

TJ

Show Heifer said:
Thought I would share of few of my herds stat's....not sure if they are good or not, but for those that want to know:

The three bull calves I saved as bulls gained between 3.6 and 4.1 pounds per day of their lives. Their mommas weaned off between 56-68% of their weight.

My replacement heifers gained between 3.2 and 3.9 pounds per day of their lives.  Their mommas weaned off 46 to 62% of their body weight. 

My calves that I sold at the salebarn averaged 3.7 pounds per day, and their mommas ranged from 43 to 55% of body weight.

And that is if I figured everything right!!!!

Another thing I found interesting: last year I didn't creep feed. this year I did for 40 days. I gained 58 pounds per calf over last year.  And "made" approximately $190 on the feed (total cost of feed  minus the extra weight times the price per pound the calves sold for). That is NOT considering the fact I kept 10 calves that ate creep but didn't get sold yet to "pay" for it.

Hope everyone is having a safe harvest, and that all the wagons are overflowing!!! (clapping) Makes for cheap feed ya know!!!! ;D

Sounds like you are doing pretty good to me!

Joe Boy

Very good. 

Our calves are averaging 50-100 lbs more this year because of the drought last year......which seems to have come back in northern Wilbarger County.  I cannot plant my wheat due to no moisture.

I will post our exact figures in November from our Spring calves and I hope they do as well as yours.....  Great job.... keep it up...

Show Heifer

Compliments coming from you two mean a lot!! THANK YOU! (clapping)

I only wish Dad could see me now, as he taught me everything I know, or at least,  TRY to know!!!  :)

Joe Boy

I would bet that he knew when he left this world that he had a real champion left in charge of his farming practices.......  He knows....

Latest posts