Calf sales, low prices, no buyers

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

We consigned two steers and a heifer to a sale this past Saturday. These are mostly county fair type calves, Nothing top dollar but good set of calves. The average prices for steers were off about $300 from previous years. A lot of calves that were pretty decent, weaned, all shots, broke to lead went for less than $700. Most of the heifer went between $600 and $700.

The number of buyers attending the sale was a lot less than in years past as well.

The sale was in Western Michigan.

Was wondering what the rest of you through the country have noticed as far as prices and interest in calves.

From what I am hearing, the numbers of calves that will be shown next summer around here at the county level will be down significant next year. High prices of feed last year and economy being what it is are contributing is what I hear is the reason,  do not know what to expect anymore.

It has just been frustrating for us as this is the first year we were really into selling calves to show and put a lot of time and effort into our calves.

I think I need to do a better job of marketing but I guess it will take some time. Hopefully, the calves we sold will do well and we can get some exposure from that.

DLZ

aj

It's weird out there. Corn has crashed,fuel prices are down. I know some guys who sold commercial calves on satelite for feb delivery a couple weeks ago and they now look like geniuses. Calf prices have crashed. I think everything will bounce upI don't know.

Steer Boy 101

the sale we consigned to had top ten calves sell for top money then from there hell broke loose and we had 15 more calves because some pppl went home with nothign last year and now this year we had like 10 no sales and 700 dollar steers. thats life

dori36

I attended the Michigan Angus Ass'n sale a couple of weeks ago and was amazed how low the prices were.  I think (don't have my catalog in front of me as I'm not at home right now) the  highest price paid for a pregnant cow was $1900.  I bid two for a friend who couldn't attend and ended up with a well bred pregnant 4 yr old reg. Angus cow for $1100 and a reg. pregnant heifer for $700.  Most everything sold pretty low.

Dori

Ag Man

Normally we buy 4 to 5 steers for the two boys.  Usually one in the $2500 range...one $1700...and the rest at base price @$1000 and two Angus heifers in the $1700 to $3000 range.

(Every year our base pricers are breed champs or reserve champs in an average Kansas county...not real rough but not a walk either.)

This year we have bought 2 steers and that is probably it.  We passed on numerous really good base bid calves.  The economy is just not stable enough and I am not going to borrow any more money for a while. 

What little money I have in mutuals and the boys college funds have taken big hits this year.

If a miracle would happen I might consider going to Winfield, Ks for a sale and to Sankeys 6N sale but not at this rate.

doubled

As most of you know we just got done with our private treaty, other than getting duped on one steer, the heifers all sold well, not super high but well, the steers we thought were very
high quality, they sold but not near as high as some we sold last year, I think the steer market other than the one or two that sell at the big jock boys sales are down in
price.  The economy definately plays a part I believe.