Calf that won't stand

Help Support Steer Planet:

coal_creek

I have a calf that was born Sunday that won't stand on his own.  My brother had to pull him out of a first calf heifer while I was at work.  They said it wasn't a terribly hard pull and never said he hip-locked or anything (85#).  He is real weak in one back leg. I think its like he has a pinched nerve or something. He can move it, just not enough strength to get up and stand on his own. Once you get him up he can balance himself on his three legs but the other just wants to kick back. He's had his colostrum, two doses of the starter shot mixed up by the local vet (mixture of penecillin, vitamins, BoSe, and Dex), and a regular injection of Dex. Any other suggestions for ways to get him up and going?  Thanks

AndersenClubCalves

Could be White Muscle ( a Selenium Deficieny). Do you give your cows a shot of MU SE or BO SE do they eat Selenium salt? IF it is the only thing you can do is give him as much BO SE as you can and hope he pulls through. Good luck. had a heifer born with it last year she never fully recovered but she eventually got so she could get up and move around on her own.

CAB

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=35991.0

Read through the link above. It sounds to me that your calf has the same troubles as the calf described in this thread. It happens occasionally with a harder pull. Don't quit on the calf. You'll know here within a few days if it'll be able to survive. Sometimes they'll recover enough not to be sorted @ market time, but most often they will always have a gimp to their stride in my experience. Good luck with your calf.