calf vaccinations

Help Support Steer Planet:

debtramm

Just was wondering if  those of you who have been doing this for a long time  would share your  vaccination protocols.  It certainly would be a help to us newbies.

Thank you.

Gator Mom 

CAB

This has been discussed B4 here. You may want to try the search feature here on the Planet and see what comes up. If nothing does to suit you then post back up and we will rehash it. I think that there are so many different opinions and companies that this one can end up more confusing to you than helpful kind of like when PPL ask for feeding info. There are so many different opinions that it gets muddled @ best. JMO. Brent

CAB

Link to vaccination protocol from Hall of Fame. http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=505.0

Gator Mom, this is a thread from 07 that I thought was a good one to pull up for you to look @. You will be able to see what I am talking about some of the different opinions as to what you should or shouldn't do. I think that the best thing for a person to do would be to ask a vet in your area as to what they would possibly recommend for your own herd. I would advise also that you try to sort through and try to understand what each vaccine is for otherwise you will never feel comfortable with what you are doing. In can be mind boggling in ways, but once you get a grasp on it, you'll feel much better about what you are doing. Most of the vaccine companies have a vet on staff that you can talk to if needed. Good luck & feel free to ask away here also, although you will get all kinds of different advice. Brent

KMJCC

I would recommend getting in touch of a local vet and ask him what vaccines you should be giving.  I am an advisor for a 4-H club and we had a vet come to one of our meetings and talk about the different types of vaccines and he handed out sheets on what types and when you should vaccinate each of the different species of animals and also for market and breeding animals.

debtramm

thanks for the info.  I have spoken w/ our vet but there's so many products on the market and would just like to understand more in depth.  But thank you again.

CAB

Trying to summarize DL's info, she is using Bovi Shield 2 shots 2 to 4 weeks apart for her calves 1st shots and is saying that if you think that 2, 7-way colstridial shots are warranted in your part of the country she would shoot also, I personally do shoot 2- 7-way +somus here along with cattle master 4 or 5. Once DL has the initial immunity set up, she boosters 2 times per year with cattle master more than likely with cattle master 5-VL. She is using modified live @ a young age then boostering. I hope this helps you. Like I said previously, you kinda need to know what you want to vaccinate for and understand how the different vaccines work.