Calf weak after hard pull

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

Had a 90# bull calf at noon today, wasn't a long labor but was a very difficult pull, calf presented with head bent back and upside down.  Our first concern was lungs sounded wet but that cleared after some vigorous rubbing and a couple coughs. Have given dexamethasone and penicillin as a precaution. After an hour he wasn't up so we brought him in the house and tubed colostrum. Now he looks good but still won't stand alone, is pretty wobbly when we stand him up. Any suggestions to help him along?

okiegirl

We had a 101 lb bull calf last spring.  It took 2 days for him to stand alone.  We draped him over a bale of straw on and off during the day.  Good luck

Pleasant Grove Farms

keep after him; those difficult deliveries have often been oxygen deprived in their brains before/during delivery...
they will recover in a couple days.
good thought with the dex....helps reduce the swelling.
keep momma interested in him....

OH Breeder

First I am not a vet, but am a health care provider.
Think of it this way. You haven't been to the gym forever and then you go and you max out on the stair climber, free weights, leg press, tread mill and wake up the next day. How do you feel? When you put extreme pressure on the body it reacts with all kinds of histamines as a response. Sometimes these little calves go through exactly that. You have a host of natural responses by the body that just take time for him to heal per say or get moving. The best thing you can do is make sure he is fed and is getting up to momma. Make sure he gets plenty of fluids and electrolytes. We have had a couple over the years, but treat them like an athlete and they will do alright. Anti-inflammatories like a ibuprofen or aspirin bolus they make for cattle. If using banamine work with your vet on best routes to administer. If you don't see improvement absolutely have your vet take a peak at him. never hurts. As much money we invest in these critters I treat them as good as I can.

garett

Had one just like this last year, a big, backwards bull calf that my dad had a heck of a time getting out. He was stiff and didn't move a lot the first couple of days, but we made sure he got up and nursed and he turned out just fine.