Calf with fluid on his lungs

Help Support Steer Planet:

R1Livestock

chambero said:
Vets are so used to ranchers giving them heck over price they are sometimes reluctant to prescribe something other than LA200.  Early on, I had to tell ours to quit prescring it - I wanted newer ones that were more likely to work with one shot. 

The other practical problem is that vet med salesman are just as bad as pharm. reps for humans in pressuring or incentivizing vets to use certain products.

So, it is very useful on a message board to hear others talk about "what works on what".  It has personally helped me "ask the right questions" of my vet.

I did learn of the dangers of Micotil on this board.  Used to use it without nearly enough caution.  I still think its the best wide spectrum, low dose antiobiotic out there.  But, I rarely use it anymore.

I learned of Resflor Gold on this board.  Talked to my vet about it (had to ask) and now it is our preferred general antibiotic.  Solves a lot of the controversey over banamine also.

The debate on calling your vet is a moot point- you cant get any of these products except through a vet.  We keep fairly large quantities on hand, but it all gets ordered through our vet.

Its not that fine of a line between offering information and incessant negativity.  This message board is next to useless now.   There are too many repetetive or flat stupid questions, and when there is a valid one - anyone with any actual real knowledge usually doesnt have time to properly qualify every answer which results in the usual tirades against - fill in the blank - sorry club calf genetics, sorry judges, sorry politicians, sorry use of drugs, etc.

Great post.  Micotil is a good suggestion for brd. 

The last paragraph has a lot in common with a 'vet' who shoots down and always chimes in on drug conversations.  I understand this person's stance, but at some point they must realize- 1. they aren't the ones prescribing the drugs in the instance, so they aren't the ones with their tails on the line and 2.  sometimes internet banter is just that, internet banter.  I would be lead to believe that most of us know many people with livestock who use drugs in many varieties and instances.  None of the ones I know have been carted off by the drug police that DL speaks of.

With some common sense, help from YOUR vet (who likely actually knows the situation at hand, not some guy on the internet 8 ways removed), maybe a new idea that you hadn't thought of yet, and possibly some past knowledge, lots of livestock drugs get used every day very effectively.

It wasn't like the OP was going to go down to TSC and get a 100cc bottle of Micotil.  Likewise, he probably couldn't just walk into a vet and say 'Give me some Micotil please'.  This counts for so many of the drugs brought up in these posts.  In most cases, there IS a vet behind the actual use (or at least the prescription) of the drug.

Diamond

DL said:
Diamond said:
What can I do to help a calf with fluid on its lungs?

The moral of the story is that maybe Diamond you should have provided the whole story to begin

Agreed, next time I post a question ill put the said calf's complete history since conception, or perhaps you will learn to digest what you read before spiteful comments. I said What can I do to help a calf with fluid on its lungs?
Never once did I say What would people on steerplanet perscribe So again, ill stay fast to my opinion on asking for others input on things, thanks.