calf with front leg issue

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cah

I have a week old calf that I need some advice on.  Her legs are not straight and not really sure what all to do.  I have heard to splint them and some say not to and let time heal.  We have gave her a shot of bo se and ADE shot.  Any other suggestions??  has anyone else ever had this and if so what is the outcome?

I attached photos.. the second one I did not get turned upright sorry.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 622
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 330

CAB

Just from looking at this one, I'd say clubbie bred structure problems. What's the breeding if you don't mind sharing. That is what we call a buckler. She buckles over on the fronts. MO is that this one will not straighten out. She's too far over on them and as she gets heavier it could get worse to the point that she will have to be on her knees. I would try to split her early while her tendons may still stretch out.

Cah

I will have to ck with hubby about breeding infor... I can't remember.  I can straighten them out pretty well while she is nursing.  She don't don't seem to mind.  If we splint them... how well she get up, Does one splint one at a time?  thanks for all the help

Judge

They will be fine just needs some time and strength in them.

Telos

This doesn't look like one bucking over like the stout bull calves can do. She just looks weak on those front legs and does not appear bad structurally as if she was too steep in her shoulder. Her cannon looks to be correctly coming out of that knee joint. She just cannot straighten it yet for whatever reason. Call your vet.

Shallene

We had one like this a few years back and they never completely straightened up. He had nock kneed and buckled over and on top of that he had contracted tendons. They eventually got better but not correct. We ended up feeding it and my daughter was able to hide the flaw at our county fair he made the sale. As his chest broadened the knock knees looked better.

Cah

I did call our vet, he suggested the bo se shot and ADE shot.  We are going to wait a few more days and see if they strengthen.  I think the right leg is looking better tonight but the left she does not put as much weight on it.  I massaged them tonight and it's like her knee's can't support her weight. I can push on them and they straighten right up but as soon as I let go they go back.  They don't seem to hurt her at all and she does try to run.  It's crazy, we have had cattle for about 9 years now and I have never seen anything like this.  I will diff check out the weed and see if our fields have any such weeds.  I just want her to be okay.  Thanks for all the input.  I appreciated it.

furinsilex

We had one like this 2 years ago.  Calf wasnt a structure wreck but we had pulled him and thought that mayybe we had done something wrong when pulling him.  We gave him a small dose of banamine every now and then, and also wrapped his legs in athletic wrap to make it harder for him to buck all the way over.  Most of this didnt help so we left him be.  He continued bucking over and basically walking on his knees for almost 2 months but he eventually straightened back out.  No long term effects was fine structurally and we fed him out cause we didnt want a feedlot to get stuck with our problem.  Was always fine and you could never tell what had happened after  3 months.

Cah

vet will be here Friday to ck and see what all we can do.  I will keep you updated.  One leg does seem better than the other and I noticed today during nursing she seems to stand and put more weight on the leg that is More straight.  Always something around cattle.  oh well live and learn.  Thanks for all the help.  The ligament issues on others seem to be more in the first joint.  Hers is diff in her knee.  :(

Cah

Ok the vet came out.... he does not think this is looking good. The calf seems to be getting worse and is now grinding teeth in pain.  We got some meds in her and going to try to get her into somewhere that can take x rays and see if it is a structure issue.  will keep you all posted.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so what was the outcome?  Good or Bad??  :'(