Calf won't eat.

Help Support Steer Planet:

The Show

I bought a new calf last Saturday at a sell, brought her home that night after a 6 hr trailer ride and haven't been able to get her eating good yet. She's been drinking and picking at some hay a little. I've tried sweet feeds, dry feeds, wet feeds, and then only thing she'll even touch is crimped oats, and she doesn't really eat them all that great.

Well there might be some different reasons she is not eating. But the calf is prolly stress from the long drive. I know that when i took my steer on that long drive he didn't want to eat either. Just give her some time to come around, as long as you have food out for her and fresh water she will be just fine. After 2-4 days of not eating try giving her some anti-biotics. Paste plus works really well for stomach bugs and normally gets them back on track!!

ShowmanQ

If you have not already, I would contact the seller and see what she was eating exactly prior to you purchasing her. Try to get her on the same thing she was eating before and then gradually swith her over. You could also give her some probios to help get her kick started since she had some stress from trailering.

stangs13

Try giving her some probios. That can sometimes kick start them into eating. You can also try combining her two feedings into just one and feeding it late at night with free choice hay all day...steirwalt does this and says it works like a charm..havent had a reason to try it yet.

are you sitting there watching her?
sometimes with a new calf you just have to leave them by their self no other calves or yourself give her about twenty minutes then check on her it worked for me

The Show

I contacted the seller and the wife tried explaining to me what she was on, basically she was on a corn gluten bulk feed. I gave her some probios yesterday and I haven't been watching her eat.