Calgary Stampede Carcass results

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
Just got some info from the GM of Canadian Speckle Park Association and thought I'd pass it on.
At Calgary Stampede
                                      48 carcasses judged
                                      6 of the top 10 were Speckle Park
                                      4 of those finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th
The nay sayers may want to re-evaluate and actually take a closer look at this growing breed. Glad my wife and I got in when we did. Can't wait to see the 1/2 Speckie, 1/2 Shorty steers next year.

cndcattle

The reason the Speckle Parks and Murray Grey's do so well in the Calgary Carcass competition is because of the grid that they are judged on. It is not the standard grid that the rest of the cattle killed are graded on. Anything that has a large rib eye is docked extremely hard.

Definitely not a system that works in the real world

cndcattle

Yes you have to have an ideal carcass weight of 675-800lbs, a REA of 79-89 sq cm, and ideally 3mm of fat to win.

justintime

I would not put much faith in the results of the Calgary Stampede Carcass results. It is a bit of a joke in the beef industry here in Western Canada. As  Cdncattle has stated, the grid used for this competition does not reflect the one used in the real world. In several of the competitions since this grid was introduced, there have been some animals win the Stampede carcass show that would have been discounted if they had been shipped to a packer from a feedlot. I am not sure about the carcass grades this year, but I know that this competition has almost become a joke. This says more about the make-up of the Stampede committee when this format was introduced than anything.

Also as has been mentioned previously, the best muscled, highest yielding animals have little chance of winning here. Guess it shows that fads that have nothing to do with the real world don't just happen in the show ring or in the clubby end of the business.

Latest posts