Calves not nursing

Help Support Steer Planet:

DCC_Cattle

We have a group of commercial cows that are kept at another location, so they are not watched 24/7. There have been about 10 calves born so far that are fine, but the last 4 have all had to be brought home and put on the bottle because they will not nurse the cow. They get locked up in a small pen for 2-3 days with the cow and by that time the calf is weak and shriveled up. They seem to nurse and be very active when they are born, but in 2 to 3 days they are about dead. With the latest one, the cow was cornered and the calf had a chance to nurse, but wanted nothing to do with it, but when it got home, it took a bottle right down. Could these calves be deficient of something?

randiliana

Could very well be selenium. You can get injectable Selenium/Vit E from the vet. I'd be asking him about it for sure. 1 shot should fix them up if that is the problem.

texas111

could selinium cause the cow to abort?  I had a good american calf that lived three das and then died.  gave it a bottle several times and prior to this happening the cow aborted a calf. The calf was lathargic and never seemed to have energy.  the mother was acceting the calf but the calf still died. What do you think? 

randiliana

Selenium can cause a lot of problems. I don't know about abortion though.

Calves that get up and going and seem fine then you find them laid out flat for no apparent reason
Calves that won't suck
Calves that never really get up and going
Cows that don't clean

Among other things

If selenium is your problem, it is easy to find out, just give the calves in question a shot of selenium. If that is the problem they will probably be up and going in 3-4 hours. At least you will see a major difference by then anyways.

DL

This may not help you this year but in many cases the dams of these calves that seem to fade away are protein deficient during the last month of gestation - another thing to consider (don't know where you are) but if the calves don't nurse, get cold, don't want to nurse, get colder etc - cold calves do not absorb colostrum so it is sort of a vicious cycle. What are the BCS of the cows?

J

JTM

I would definitely try to selenium shot on the calves. I did hear from my vet that selenium shots on pregnant cows can cause abortion. That is why we give it to the calf within a day or so of being born.

JWW

Texas111 - Do you know the BVD status of your cow? and is she current on vaccines??
could also be bad luck  :-\

JWW

texas111

the cows are up to date on vaccines.  i will try the selenium next go round.  i had two mommas out on the same pasture and one lost its calf and the other calf is fine.  both cows were vaccinated at the same time.  this could just be my bad luck.  gonna try the selenium just in case next go round.  thanks for the advice. <beer>

North Hill

We had the same problem with calves either born dead (full term) or not nursing/nursing once & then dying. All calves born alive get selenium shots, but it didn't seem to be helping.  We finally had some blood tests run on the cows & they were the ones really low in selenium.  We never thought that would be the problem, as the cows are on good feed, regular salt & mineral & in the best shape they've been in a few years!  Anyways, the vet said to vaccinate all the cows with MU-SE.  Ideally, this should be done 4 weeks before calving, but she said to do all the cows in the herd, as it certainly couldn't hurt!  Just finished vaccinating today, so hopefully it works!  

cowman 52

mu se should not have abortion as side affect-- in some places where selenium is really low  the availability  suddenly might cause a  hiccup

cowman 52

hit wrong button--  we are in a horrible drought--  calves born ok but seem a bit disorentied-- just do not feel good and lethargic--  we using micotil  and seem to be getting them past it--3 in rain in past year have lot of junk stirred up