CALVING EASE BULL

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

aandtcattle said:
-XBAR- said:
Proven -  Having been demonstrated or verified without doubt
I can tell youre from Texas! The last state in the union that still uses Jersey bulls on first calf beef heifers.  (lol) (pop) (lol) :eek:

I've got some heifers I will be breeding in the spring.  Now that Im not able to go to the farm but on the weekends - I was curious....? Being that I won't be able to check on them but once a week, what bull in your lineup would you say with 100% certainty would be safe.. you know, proven without doubt - you write me a check if one lays down and dies type guarantee?  Because I can assure you the calves out of that Jersey bull will fall out and be just fine.

CAB

-XBAR- said:
aandtcattle said:
-XBAR- said:
Proven -  Having been demonstrated or verified without doubt
I can tell youre from Texas! The last state in the union that still uses Jersey bulls on first calf beef heifers.  (lol) (pop) (lol) :eek:

I've got some heifers I will be breeding in the spring.  Now that Im not able to go to the farm but on the weekends - I was curious....? Being that I won't be able to check on them but once a week, what bull in your lineup would you say with 100% certainty would be safe.. you know, proven without doubt - you write me a check if one lays down and dies type guarantee?  Because I can assure you the calves out of that Jersey bull will fall out and be just fine.
You may want to look @ ABS Red Angus bull Above & Beyond. Very easy calving and very high accuracy. Good calves for CE bull as far as I have been told. BTW, that is a great looking Jersey bull.

twc77

Xbar, before you throw those calves away at the stockyard look through the heifers and maybe a few recip prospects. With all that capacity jersey's have to do well on grass.

RyanChandler

twc77 said:
  Xbar, before you throw those calves away at the stockyard look through the heifers and maybe a few recip prospects. With all that capacity jersey's have to do well on grass.

The scenario was hypothetical but my point was that in a situation where youre unable to check on heifers like you should,  a Jersey bull is the best option despite A&T's disdainful undertone.  Its going to take a lot of extra lbs at weaning out of the full beef calves to compensate for that $3000 heifer that laid down and died.

While Jerseys aren't ideally suited for grass only rations in the pasture, the shorthorn x jersey female ought to do just fine in the parlor.

twc77

-XBAR- said:
twc77 said:

The scenario was hypothetical but my point was that in a situation where youre unable to check on heifers like you should,  a Jersey bull is the best option despite A&T's disdainful undertone.  Its going to take a lot of extra lbs at weaning out of the full beef calves to compensate for that $3000 heifer that laid down and died.

While Jerseys aren't ideally suited for grass only rations in the pasture, the shorthorn x jersey female ought to do just fine in the parlor.

In another completely hypothetical situation how would those "pretty" miniature herefords be as far as calving ease? all info,left handed comments and wisdom appreciated. thanks

RyanChandler

As the sire I'm sure they'd do pretty good.  If you sell those mini calves young enough, you might even be able to pass em off as the real deal.