calving ease bulls, help

Help Support Steer Planet:

beefy

i need some help on some ai sires to breed to. would like to find a clubby bred bull to ai to that is safe for heifers. also shorthorn bulls with calving ease but still keep them clubby. tired of using angus bulls on my heifers. thanks <cowboy>

TJ

If Angus blood isn't an option & especially if you want Shorthorn, I'd look at Gizmo & Jake's Proud jazz. 

Show Heifer

You didn't mention what bloodlines or breed your heifers were (which would have been helpful) but, not knowing any other info, I would go with Jakes Proud Jazz. He is clean pedigreed and in my experience, throws hair, style, great structure and they grow. 

beefy

sorry heifers are allmaine or maine x simmi x angus. bloodlines are bouncer, ali, the man, hard core,  on the maines  others are out of aftershock or macho. and two half shorts out of okie dokie thanks  <cowboy>

BCCC

Who is The man? On the maines is Gigilo Joe or Majors Money Man. On the shortys, I would be carefull as they could be PHAC being out of okie dokie. Could try Jakes proud jazz or Ace Of Diamonds.

BIGTEX

I had a Taz bull that weighed 98 lbs. I used Wulf's NASA on my heifers and not one was over 75 lbs. Mom just had to sneeze and they fell out. He is also a great milking bull for a Limousin. Is that an oxymoron?

kane1598

I have to recomend Dirty Harry. Calves come easy, very marketable as club calves and show heifers, and they are HARRY!

shortyjock89

Doc said:
I would use ALM Chiller, if  you didn't mind a carrier then I would use Kool.

We used to use Kool on heifers, and we had really good luck with him.  I kinda forgot about using him, but if we have a clean heifer that we don't know what to breed to, Kool might get back on the list..I think we have a couple of units of him layin around.

HG Charity

Total Solution.  We used him on some heifers last year and got great calves, our best heifer infact!  Calves come out small and sort of ratty looking then about four weeks later they explode!  He did a great job and they're sellable calves

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Doc said:
I would use ALM Chiller, if  you didn't mind a carrier then I would use Kool.

We used to use Kool on heifers, and we had really good luck with him.  I kinda forgot about using him, but if we have a clean heifer that we don't know what to breed to, Kool might get back on the list..I think we have a couple of units of him layin around.

1st, Kool is built like he should be an "easy calver".  Since you had good success with him, I am kinda wishing that he wasn't a carrier.

2nd, I LOVE THAT AVATAR PICTURE!!  (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (thumbsup) 

3rd, if you ever have a heifer and you are having trouble deciding what to breed her to, give me a call.  I've got a bull in mind that I just might accidentally recommend.  ;)

TJ

HG Charity said:
Total Solution.  We used him on some heifers last year and got great calves, our best heifer infact!  Calves come out small and sort of ratty looking then about four weeks later they explode!  He did a great job and they're sellable calves

Do you have any pictures of Total Solution calves? 

OH Breeder

Shorties
Gizmo you will have a female that is going to make a great cow. Can make them clubby depending on the cow. He didn't add a tremendous about of bone, but spring of rib and depth of body is exceptional.

NOrthern Improvement is a fancy angus bull. We had super calf out of him and would use him again.

Figure your momma's BW's into the picture. Hardcore might be on the line. I have seen some with huge bone etc.

Total Solution calves that I have seen were super fancy.

We are just trying Jakes Proud Jazz this year. I used him on a larger framed longer necked heifer.

beefy

thanks for the suggestions. my cattle winter on the desert 80 miles away from the ranch so  no time for calf pullers. after they are done showin our show cattle have to go on the trucks just like the others and make a livin. the higher % angus cattle just cant take the desert in the winter wont keep any thing with 50% angus blood and above for a cow. suprising that the maine anjou cattle bein so big and so docile they have been  been some of the best range cattle we have. the shorthorns do very good also <cowboy> 

simtal

beefy said:
thanks for the suggestions. my cattle winter on the desert 80 miles away from the ranch so  no time for calf pullers. after they are done showin our show cattle have to go on the trucks just like the others and make a livin. the higher % angus cattle just cant take the desert in the winter wont keep any thing with 50% angus blood and above for a cow. suprising that the maine anjou cattle bein so big and so docile they have been  been some of the best range cattle we have. the shorthorns do very good also <cowboy> 

I'm puzzled here.  If angus cows can't hack it, why do you think clubby bred stuff will?