Calving ease bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Which is the best Calving ease bull to use?

• Witch dr.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Majors Money Man

• Northern Improvement

• other

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

showcattlegal

I need a knew calving ease sire. The heifers are all Maine crosses with the highest birth weight is 92 lbs. I have and bad luck with Ali. Any help is great.

thanks
Lacey

CTM

Lacey

We use  Money Man on every heifer, that is not a Money Man.  There is no bull out there that puts the class in your show
calves.like him.  the calves come about 8 to 10 days early  and you have a great calf in the end. not just a small calf. They also make great mothers.  Selling MANY of our  top STEERS out of him.      I just pulled  two Ali's  out of our heifers  97lbs  and  99lbs.  with a lot of white.  there ok but you can see right now  they are not good enough for the show ring.
This coming year we will breed over  250  Mature Cows to Money Man. and  all my heifers,  I will use CTR Success on my Money
Man heifers.

red

CTM said:
Lacey

We use  Money Man on every heifer, that is not a Money Man.  There is no bull out there that puts the class in your show
calves.like him.  the calves come about 8 to 10 days early  and you have a great calf in the end. not just a small calf. They also make great mothers.  Selling MANY of our  top STEERS out of him.      I just pulled   two Ali's   out of our heifers  97lbs   and   99lbs.  with a lot of white.  there ok but you can see right now  they are not good enough for the show ring.
This coming year we will breed over  250   Mature Cows to Money Man. and  all my heifers,  I will use CTR Success on my Money
Man heifers.

Collen, I told Lacey to give you a call. she & I looked at MM heifer's this morning on the internet. Thanks for your feedback.
CTR Success, is he an Impulse son? What kind of BW's are you seeing from him?
We've got about 6 cows & heifers slated for MM.

Red

justme

CTR Success...CHI-angus?  I find him out of  of Impulse... Are you using him for calving ease too?  We had trouble with Impulse a while back

Telos

I feel CTR Success is one of the the most complete bulls out there. Majors sold a really good heifer out of a Success 1st calf heifer by Money Man,  year before last, in Hartman's Appreciation sale. ZNT Triple X  is out of a super Success first calf heifer. They make really good cows. Temperament, calving ease, super sound.  All the Success 1st calf heifers, I've seen,  really milk good. Success seems to work especially well on Maine genetics.  A fault free type of bull.  I like him as well as Foreplay cows without the Maine genetics in him. Maybe that is why he compliments Maine genetics?  Wish I could have a
whole pasture of Foreplay and Success cows!

DL

I have had good luck with both The Witch Doctor and his son WD40 - I like the calves and they are reasonable size - ie btwn 70 and 80 lbs. Ferris Ranch Strutt is a Maine calving ease bull, calves are smal, females are great cows, but he is a bit old style - cows are bigger than what most people want, but they are pretty! I have also had success with Gold Medallion (Midas son)  on heifers but I don't think his semen is available any more. I will be ordering Money Man semen this year. There are also the Angus calving ease bulls - Show Heifer knows the most about this area - I Northern Improvement is my favorite....NO matter how good the numbers, and how good the planning it is biology and wierd things will happen.... (cow) (cow) (cow) Just when we think we have things under control! BINGO

ps Hi Telos - been missing ya!

red

Telos said:
I feel CTR Success is one of the the most complete bulls out there. Majors sold a really good heifer out of a Success 1st calf heifer by Money Man,  year before last, in Hartman's Appreciation sale. ZNT Triple X  is out of a super Success first calf heifer. They make really good cows. Temperament, calving ease, super sound.  All the Success 1st calf heifers, I've seen,  really milk good. Success seems to work especially well on Maine genetics.  A fault free type of bull.  I like him as well as Foreplay cows without the Maine genetics in him. Maybe that is why he compliments Maine genetics?  Wish I could have a
whole pasture of Foreplay and Success cows!

Telos, I love my Foreplay line. he is a fairly good BW bull too. You can still get his semen. He's also a 1/2 Maines now too.
I didn't realize that your bull was out of Sucess, neat!
Red

Telos

DL, thanks.  Been hard at work.  Looked at the new calves on your web site. WOW!!!  They look super. I've been
trying to win the lottery so I can buy me a ranch and some cows. All those calf pictures makes me envious.

Red, if you continually keep using bulls with names like Foreplay, Hard Core and Triple X your cow herd might become X-rated.
                                            :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

red

Telos, your so bad!!!! Hi Tony!
I have to laugh, because remember that was one of my no-no's on a bull was his name. Now look at me, it's like an X Rated movie trailer!  (welcome)

Red

OH Breeder

Telos said:
DL, thanks.  Been hard at work.  Looked at the new calves on your web site. WOW!!!  They look super. I've been
trying to win the lottery so I can buy me a ranch and some cows. All those calf pictures makes me envious.

Red, if you continually keep using bulls with names like Foreplay, Hard Core and Triple X your cow herd might become X-rated.
                                            :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DL has a web site? :eek: I didn't know....give it up...what is the IP address. :p

Joe Boy

Here are the easy calfing bulls that I am using on heifers:  Hummer  256062;  Bouncer 296484;  Strutt 118925 on the small frame ones; Elmo 229769 and I bought a bull that cost $5 per straw to use on some cows that I may or may not sell and heifes that do not have much milk, K & A Struttsman 155900. 

If I were looking for a show calf in the market class I would use Money Man and Bouncer.

Joe Boy

Tuesday, I pulled my second calf out of my bulls and AI bulls that I have used in 14 years.  Both calves that I pulled were from heifers and it was mostlikely my fault for over feeding the heifers.  Because of our drought I have had to feed whatever I could find.  I do not take pride in large calves at birth, but want them large at sale time.  A healthy cow and calf is most important in cattle management.  So you are a wise person for wanting help in getting easy calving bulls.  Good luck.

Show Heifer

Northern Improvement is an option, although from my experience, not enough thickness for the show ring.
I really like Juneau, and will tell you how well I like Lut in a few hours, as I am unpatiently waiting for a heifer to calve as I type!
Also, Mytty In Focus is hugely popular and is highly proven as a heifer bull. I have seen several of his calves and really like them, although maybe a bit heavy up front.
Some are recommending Raptor, but his pedigree causes me to hesitate using him on heifers, especially if they have BW issues.
One bull that I have heard NIGHTMARES from is Cowboy Up. Have had several people report 90-126 pound BW on heifers that were handled correctly. EEEKKKKK!
Good luck.
And I will continue to impatiently wait!!! ??? :) :)

red

We've had a large club calf group that uses primarily Angus cross cattle. They bred their first calf heifer to Northern Improvement one year & had a complete nightmare calving. Huge calves, dead calves & dead heifers. They were concerned that the semen wasn't correct. These guys also know how to run cattle, so it's not a rookie mistake.

Red

cowz

Several years ago I bought a Jazz son - ET out of the Magic cow family from Core Farms.  This has been our AI herd cleanup bull for both mature cows and heifers.  In three years we have never pulled a calf out of a heifer bred to that bull.  Great attitude and has stayed structurally sound after sometimes walking a mile to water.  These calves have most importantly been very sound, long and deep.  Not the widest in the world, but you don't want to try that trait in the heifer breeding program.  We sold one of these calves in a sale and the buyer won a heifer futurity.  Anyhow, thats another line you may look into.  Dont want to sound preachy!!!  Believe me, we have learned most of what we know...the hard way. 
  (cow)

red

I always liked Jazz, to me anything w/ Habanero is usually a pretty good choice. Although the females can be a little tempermental.

Red

garybob

If you like blue roans, use Homedale Blizzard on your Black Heifers. They'll make efficient mama cows, too.

Joe Boy

Red, My little red bull just turned 2 months and I will make another picture and send you.  He is so gentle.  He is a Lifeline out of a Jazz cow.  He and his mother both have great attitudes.  Everyone around here really like the Lifeline calves for (1) disposition (2) They eat day and night even in the hottest of weather.

cattlechick

Who owns tripleX and what is his breeding, I'd like to see him and see some calves out of him... ;)

genes

Garybob, have you ever seen Homedale Blizzard in person?  The reason I ask is that I looked at his picture, and he looks nice except the shoulder looks very odd.  I know sometimes stuff just happens in pictures though.  http://www.topwebsites24-7.com/cgi-bin/blocks/blocks.cgi?ownerid=30&blockid=528&cmd=show&cmd2=show