Calving Ease with color?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bluffcountrycattle

My son has a new solid red Monopoly X Who Made Who heifer that he'd like to breed next spring, and keep some color.  Does anyone have any calving ease recommendations for a red or smokey colored bull to breed her too?  Thanks!  Mark

blackdiamond

Bulldaddy

I have used Crimson Tide on heifers with good results.  One out of a solid black Monopoly heifer was marked like a shorthorn and really stout with lots of hair.

bluffcountrycattle

Possum Trot Ranch said:
I have used Crimson Tide on heifers with good results.  One out of a solid black Monopoly heifer was marked like a shorthorn and really stout with lots of hair.
thought of him too...possibility.  Anyone use Cool Customer on heifers?  I see there are several on the First Class sale bred to him, so they must feel somewhat confident in him.  Not sure if he's a red carrier or not...

WB

Montego Bay is a good choice for calving ease, but not what your looking for if your looking for color.

Possibly Tony Austin's Bullicious bull? I got an email blast that mentioned calving ease... But with him being an Alias I would be reluctant... But he is still a cool looking bull! http://www.austincattle.com/sires/sires.html

Steer4Caddy

I can't imagine using most of the bulls mentioned here on heifers.  May work but that's a huge risk.  Look into a red angus bull of Dan Leddys called Red Wine.  An extremely good one.  Very unique with maybe the best mothers I've ever seen.

CAB

Mark look into Mission Statement sexed semen. I really like what i've seen out of him. All around good calves IMO. $30.00 sexed female 90%/Genex.

titan

we have always had luck with jake's proud jazz. but he just died so semen might be a little expensive.

bluffcountrycattle

CAB said:
Mark look into Mission Statement sexed semen. I really like what i've seen out of him. All around good calves IMO. $30.00 sexed female 90%/Genex.
Thanks Brent!  He looks good...he is low birth, but any idea why he is negative for CED?  Seems strange.  Did you add any more reds to your herd out at the Lake Benton sale?

HAB

You could try this bull.  You will get color, and he should work on heifers.

Attachments

• Gilchrist bull raised by Schumacher.jpg
    Gilchrist bull raised by Schumacher.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 165

CAB

Mark, I don't have any idea why he has low CED #s. We had a very small Mission Statement heifer out of a 1st calf Glacier Chateau that I would have said didn't have a chance of being anything, but will have to say that I am very happy to be wrong. She is very good and I would rank her # 4 in our heifer calf crop overall. I used some more sexed MS on a couple of NI coming 1st calvers & am anxious to see those 2 calves. I have been thinking about getting another rack of the sexed semen before I regret not having done so. There was a thread on here 2/3 years ago asking for opinions on the best all around Red Angus bull & I remember that Rambo 502 & Mission Statement got very good comments. We also used some Big Sky on commercial heifers for CE & maternal. Just used commercial semen on him though.
 We did not go to Lake Benton after Thanksgiving. Would have liked to, but I bought a half dozen commercial heifers from a neighbor & am going to be tight on winter feed. We bred the heifer that we bought last year to SixMile Winchester after we flushed her once to Sakic.

rackranch

Is your Monopoly free? or did you have her tested?

Possum Trot Ranch said:

bluffcountrycattle

rackranch said:
Is your Monopoly free? or did you have her tested?

Possum Trot Ranch said:
She should be free for PHA by pedigree, but I plan to test for TH to make sure prior to any breeding decisions.  If I was to guess just by phenotype, my guess is Free for TH, but I still won't take a chance!  Thanks