calving nightmare

Help Support Steer Planet:

the angus111

guys went out yesterday found newborn calf still alive with all her intestines pulled through her navel.she was a very big calf,got her to the vet and apparently they were pulled loose from inside,had already repaired a couple of them,decided to put her down.you learn and see something new everyday!expensive learning experience.rusty sw ks

red

WOW Rusty! that is a new one on me. How did she do it?

Really a rough year for you.

Red

the angus111

red,we dont know how she did it ,unless the umbilical cord didnt break and momma drug her, all 37 feet came out,we were shocked she was alive and what a big girl she was.rusty swks

DL

A3 - I am so sorry - you certainly have had what we might call a manure-y calving year. My guess is that the heifer had either an abdominal or umbilical hernia and that those intestines just jumped thru that hole - related or unrelated to the cord breaking - I just hate it when this kind of stuff happens.....hope you are back for a spell - we will try to cheer you up (also 4/1/11 SRU will be 2 times as old as farmboy - party with the Amigoettes, chuckwagon etc I think we need a band!)

the angus111

DL,I am thinking moving to a tropical island with a lifetime supply of coronas and margaritas dont sound bad!!!rusty swks

DL

the angus111 said:
DL,I am thinking moving to a tropical island with a lifetime supply of coronas and margaritas dont sound bad!!!rusty swks

Ahh the memories! I have had years like that and know how you feel - paradise sounds like a great idea especially in a blizzard. If you go - take a laptop! ;D ;D