calving questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ms Ray

Our first heifer is due to calf the end of May, she has started bagging up not to big, and I know this can happen up to 6 weeks early.  My questions are I read in a book to vacinate the heifer a few weeks before she calfs and this will help the calf but then I also heard no not to , do you vacinate before calving, after calving and if so with what?  Also she is in a pen currently on dirt we will put straw down how long before calving should we do that? 

CAB

As far as the vaccination that they are referring to, it would be a scour guard type of vaccination to help protect the calf from getting scours. There are of coarse all different opinions as to whether it is a good program to use or not. It ends up being a personal choice for your operation.
  As far as putting down straw b4 calving in late May, I would forgo that. It maybe a nice jesture, but think about all of the calves around the country that are born in all types of weather and conditions. At the end of May the chances of you having to pamper the heifer all very doubtful. As long as she can have it, you'll be fine with letting her pick a spot out to do her thing. Good luck, Brent

farmershane3

Thank you ms ray for posting this my first heifer ever is due to calve is less than a week, its like christmas morning all over again!!

CAB

farmershane3 said:
Thank you ms ray for posting this my first heifer ever is due to calve is less than a week, its like christmas morning all over again!!

But you know when Christmas is coming!!

sue

Donot leave out the possibility of twins?

Ms Ray

CAB said:
What is your heifer's pedigree and what did you breed her to?

she is a chi-maine out of a bull named blue ice, and we breed her to a bull the breeder owns that is a son of hoo too

Ms Ray

The heifer calfed tonight, we got there to feed and she was laying down (she never lays down)  and sure enough she was calving.  took a little while for her to let the calf nurse but finally stood still.  I will weigh her in the morning but she is we are guessing about 80 pounds.  It is a heifer calf. 

Latest posts