Calving so far

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

I bet some of you are well into calving this year. How is it going and what is looking good so far?

minimoo38

i feel behind. we haven't even started yet! (well, except for my one heifer, but that's a different story)  our first one isn't "officially" due until later this month, but she might decide otherwise  ;D

cattlejunky

We are 2 for 2 both heifer calves.  Waiting on about 10 to 11 more.  Still waiting on our first money man calf.  Due 2/16/08.  I'm like you jbarl its hard to wait.

cowz

Just started on the Angus and the maintainer heifers.  Had 3, all heifers....and the best one's ears got frosted....dang!  Wrapped them with a towel....we shall see how they turn out.  Pray for moderate weather and no ice storms! ;)

garybob

cowz said:
Just started on the Angus and the maintainer heifers.  Had 3, all heifers....and the best one's ears got frosted....dang!   Wrapped them with a towel....we shall see how they turn out.  Pray for moderate weather and no ice storms! ;)
Best little Shorthorn cow I ever had was a frostbite victim ( Yes, it does get cold in the South--especially when You're calving). I wouldn't have traded full ears for functional ovaries.

Even with shortened ears, I'll bet you a Pepsi, she's still the best one of the bunch.

When do the other breed/groups begin calving?

GB

justme

We start in March.  Very hilly here and calving on icey hills aren't fun.  Still threats of ice in March but not like Jan. and Feb.  Plus...I'm getting too old for calf checks in this cold.  Will spring ever arrive?

cowz

I am with ya!  I'm getting too old to do the 11pm-2am-5am then clean up and go to work where you are supposed to look and act reasonably intellegent !  Usually by the 5 oclock you remember that you forgot to plug in the spotlight!  Orrr you step in a muddy puddle in the porch in your bare feet! hahahaha

Rocky Hill Simmental

I got my 2 dairy x beef cross calves for the year in January. Two heifers - both solid black. I should be getting a calf from my char x simme and one of my PB simmes in April. My char x simme's already getting a bag but my PB simme is just really fat - hopefully she starts showing a bag soon.

kanshow

Calving season is going....    The commercial cows started.  We still have several more PB & AI calves to come, but so far everything we've wanted a heifer from has been a bull. 

hairy

Two calves so far.  Cow had now problem.  First calf heifer had to have a c-section, mother and bull calf doing fine. 
I should have used that Ali semen that I have in my tank!!!!

shortdawg

All mine were born in the fall except one lone heifer pregnancy due 3/3. But it is the one I'm looking forward to the most - HD Bloodstone x CF Lucky Charm 255. I can't wait for this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

showgirl2010

The purebred heifer I purchased this past year had her calf in Jan.  tomorrow he will be a month old.  He has good structure and bone for a little guy.  We have about 4 other calves on the ground.  We are still waiting on the commericla herd to begin calving though.  One thing with our bull all we have is bulls out of him.  only one heifer and thank goodness it was a purebred.

Jamie

garett

Well so far we are 23 out of 25, one was a first-calf heifer who took too long and we think the poor fella suffocated, or got to much fluid in his lungs. The other had his legs back and head hangin out, dad said it was a hard pull. Other than those 2 everything seems to be doin well. All we have are PB angus cows and a few angus x hereford crosses bred to our angus bulls, then the heifers got AIed to 878. We have a big hill behind the barn and whew its ice covered, a long trip down that one. lol

Jill

We kept back a group of heifers and bred them to calve first, it has been a terrible start to calving season, we won't do that again!  On the plus side we have had 10 hiefer calves (100% heifers) and our Money Man looks great.

TPX

We started on Jan 1 (no cheating either she calved a 4 am jan 1st) we are done our red angus cows and half the shorthorns so far in the reds we got 4 sets of twins and the rest have all been bull calves so we have no usefull heifer calves which really sucks cause we really enjoy showing heifers calves and bred heifers but I think we got a couple cows that look pretty good so far just wait and see how that calves turn out.  We had one set of twins in the horns and one TH calf and other wise everything has been going really good we should have a pretty good break until the comercials start in a couple months.