calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEF

Would  vibro-lepto  cause  calves  to be still  born and full term?

Cowboy

Typically, if you have Lepto going thru your herd, and especially Hardjo Bovis, your conceptions rates will be extrememly lowered, and often times you'll see a few odd returns as well -- abortions will occur early on as a rule with Lepto.

Vibrio on the other hand, will either lower your concetion drastically as above, or you will see a larger number of abortions -- say from 75 days to as long as 5 months. These are both different pathogens, where as Lepto is transmitted from contact with affected animals -- deer, coons etc.

Vibrio can only be transmitted sexually from an infected bull -- or a cow will transmit it to the herd bull and the cycle continues. Bad thing to have.

I would say that the chances of getting to full term with either one are small, so therefore your cow may have just had a normal DOA -- it happens for many reasons. Testing will answer your question fully -- thats the only way you'll really know.  BVD is another that you may want to look into -- that affects them differently than the above.

Good luck form here on -- Terry

Show Heifer

DEF - I would STRONGLY encourage you to have your vet take samples to send into a lab. Have them test for the "usuals" as well as a few not so common things your vet might be aware of in your area.
I have had mixed results with finding out what actually caused a calf to die, or an abortion, BUT, it will (probably more important) tell you what it WASN'T!
Good luck.