Camera for photography

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

Ok, I have been looking at buying a high quality camera.  My hope is to eventually be able to take pictures of cattle professionally.  I have been looking at Canon SLR models.  Any opinions on this camera.  Also, feel free to tell me if you like other cameras as well.

justme

I want a digital Cannon SLR so badly.....  I shoot with a cannon now but film.  I love cannon cameras.  If I get brave and venture downtown KC this week, I may just trade mine in for one.

BIGTEX

I have a Cannon SLR and it has been great. Also, look at Nikon, my brother has one and swears by it. I wouldn't trade my Cannon anything. The ISI lenses are worth the extra money.

P-F

I LOVE my cannon rebel XTi  SLR
best investment ever!!!

Throttle

P-F said:
best investment ever!!!

I have the same one and really like it, but if I had it to do over I would step up to the 20D. The Rebel is really easy to use and takes great pictures. Perfect starter camera, but pretty basic when it comes to professional work, so I am told. I'm no expert

Cattledog

Throttle said:
P-F said:
best investment ever!!!

I have the same one and really like it, but if I had it to do over I would step up to the 20D. The Rebel is really easy to use and takes great pictures. Perfect starter camera, but pretty basic when it comes to professional work, so I am told. I'm no expert

Does it make sense since I am a beginner to start out with the rebel SLR or should I seriously look at the 20D?

P-F

I suppose it depends on how much you have to spend on a camera.  There is so much to learn I have't even took mine off of auto and have gotten some great pics see below, I haven't touched it at all not even to crop it.  You can get great pics with the rebel.

If you are able take some classes to learn about everything the camera can do.

PS she is for sale 1/2 intrest

Attachments

• RJPF 602s_0829 2.JPG
    RJPF 602s_0829 2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 295

rex

I use a sony cybershot, after a good pic you need good editing software, the one that comes with the camera sux

Throttle

rex said:
I use a sony cybershot, after a good pic you need good editing software, the one that comes with the camera sux

Agreed. I think more is done with Photoshop than with the camera itself. Maybe that's why it costs as much as a camera does

Cattledog

Throttle said:
rex said:

Agreed. I think more is done with Photoshop than with the camera itself. Maybe that's why it costs as much as a camera does

My wife just bought the Photoshop CS2.  She got a huge discount due to her being a student.  I was kind of pumped when we got it.  She didn't even tell me she was thinking about purchasing it!

KYsteer

I am not an expert with cameras, but did buy a Canon PowerShot S5IS last year.  Does anyone what lenses would work best with this camera to take excellent pictures?

Throttle

Cattledog said:
Throttle said:
rex said:

My wife just bought the Photoshop CS2.  She got a huge discount due to her being a student.  I was kind of pumped when we got it.  She didn't even tell me she was thinking about purchasing it!

I'm not sure what the pros vs cons of the Rebel vs the 20D are, but I can tell you that if you already have photoshop and you got the 20D, then you'd basically have the same set up that many of the best cattle guys out there have (Sneed, Hook, Sinclair, etc)

Cattledog

Throttle said:
Cattledog said:
Throttle said:
rex said:

I'm not sure what the pros vs cons of the Rebel vs the 20D are, but I can tell you that if you already have photoshop and you got the 20D, then you'd basically have the same set up that many of the best cattle guys out there have (Sneed, Hook, Sinclair, etc)

Well that is good to know.  I sure have a long way to go before I start taking pictures that have the quality of what they produce.  I haven't bought the camera yet but Isn't the 20D an older model.  I think that they are up to 50D now and it looks like it can store pictures at 15 megapixels.  How many megapixels are needed for photographing cattle?  I don't think that you would need 15 megapixels for the size of pictures that you commonly see.

kids n chaos

I have a Nikon D40 and I love it more than my husband I think....  I really feel like Cannon's and Nikons are very comparable.  I chose the Nikon because there was a special on a kit that came with an extra lens.  It takes such great pictures - I absolutely love it!  It's true that photoshop can do wonders for a picture, but it's easier when you start with a great picture.

Cattledog

Jason said:
Any volunteers to help on with a photoshop article.  I can do most of the writing.

I think an article on photoshop is a great idea!  I am just getting my feet wet so I probably shouldn't be the one helping. 

Bawndoh

Jason said:
Any volunteers to help on with a photoshop article.  I can do most of the writing.

Sure.  Give me a PM and let me know what you need.

Bawndoh

[/quote]

Well that is good to know.  I sure have a long way to go before I start taking pictures that have the quality of what they produce.  I haven't bought the camera yet but Isn't the 20D an older model.  I think that they are up to 50D now and it looks like it can store pictures at 15 megapixels.  How many megapixels are needed for photographing cattle?  I don't think that you would need 15 megapixels for the size of pictures that you commonly see.
[/quote]

Nikon has a 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 200D, 300D (BRAND NEW), and 700D.  They also have even higher range series for serious pro photographers.  You dont, by any means need a 15megapixel camera.  I feel that megapixels are an overrated thing, and manufacturers use them to hype up cameras.  I shoot pro with a 10 megapixel camera and do quite well obviously!  Just be sure your camera is set at the largest file size.  Where you will really get messed up is when you shoot at a really small file size.  Large is somewhere in the vicinity of 2500 x 3800 pixels.  Stay with this size and you will be grand!! 
I dont think you need to spend tons on photo gear.  Your basic DSLR (digital single lense reflex) camera will be all you need.  Spend money on good lenses, and you will have that camera for several, several years!  Keep your aperature (f/stop) number relatively low (below 5) and it will blur the background itself.  It focuses on the animal itself, and everything else is blurred.  Especially things farther off in the background.  If you want to have the background in focus, go with a higher setting, such as f/12-f/14 or higher.  Keep your shutter speed at 300 or higher, and your ISO at 400 or lower.  The higher your ISO, the grainier the photos get. 

Cattledog

[/quote]

Nikon has a 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 200D, 300D (BRAND NEW), and 700D.  They also have even higher range series for serious pro photographers.  You dont, by any means need a 15megapixel camera.  I feel that megapixels are an overrated thing, and manufacturers use them to hype up cameras.  I shoot pro with a 10 megapixel camera and do quite well obviously!  Just be sure your camera is set at the largest file size.  Where you will really get messed up is when you shoot at a really small file size.  Large is somewhere in the vicinity of 2500 x 3800 pixels.  Stay with this size and you will be grand!! 
I dont think you need to spend tons on photo gear.  Your basic DSLR (digital single lense reflex) camera will be all you need.  Spend money on good lenses, and you will have that camera for several, several years!  Keep your aperature (f/stop) number relatively low (below 5) and it will blur the background itself.  It focuses on the animal itself, and everything else is blurred.  Especially things farther off in the background.  If you want to have the background in focus, go with a higher setting, such as f/12-f/14 or higher.  Keep your shutter speed at 300 or higher, and your ISO at 400 or lower.  The higher your ISO, the grainier the photos get. 
[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the info!  Like I said, I am really just a beginner so all of this info helps out a ton!  Thank you for adding this informative post!