Can anyone top this guy?

Help Support Steer Planet:

tackes

I read and looked with amazement...  :eek:

Any idea about why he would get that large??? I'm absolutely curious as to why this happened. Any explanations????

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=IYFZ4PNZEL52ZQFIQMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/05/nbull105.xml

red

nbull105.jpg

Beefy bullock heading for heavyweight title
By Gary Cleland
Last Updated: 2:59am GMT 06/12/2007

A six-year-old Charolais bullock called The Field Marshall is tipped to become the biggest in the country over the next 12 months.

The Field Marshall towers over farmer Arthur Duckett. ‘He eats twice the amount of any of the rest of the animals’

He already weighs 3,000lbs and is set to pile on another 650lbs in the next year alone.

That will take him past the current record-holder, his former stablemate The Colonel. He stood 6ft 5ins tall and weighed 3,500lbs.

The Field Marshall will not be fully grown until he is eight and is still the bullock equivalent of a late teenager. But he is already heavier than a Mini Cooper car, which weighs 2,458lbs, and weighs nearly as much as a BMW 3 series (3,053lbs). The white steer was raised by farmer Arthur Duckett, 78, who bought him two years ago and decided to keep him as a pet.

Mr Duckett, of Alstone, near Burnham-on-sea, Somerset, said: "I've been keeping large cattle for 40 years now and I knew as soon as I saw him that he was going to be very large. He is already heavier than the average car. When he gets angry he can do some real damage, although he is very good tempered."

The Field Marshall shares a 22-acre field with a 5ft 6in tall Highland steer called The Captain and a small fresian named Hamish.

Mr Duckett said: "Field Marshall is not fed a special diet but he does eat a mixture of barley, maize and sugar beet.

"But he eats twice the amount of any of the rest of the animals. A whopping 17lbs of it every day."

Big enough for 500 steaks...

• The Field Marshall stands 6ft 3ins tall and weighs1.5 tons

• Is twice as heavy and 8ins higher than the average bull or bullock

• Has to be weighed in a lorry because he is too big for conventional cattle scales

• Eats his way through 17lbs of oats, barley, maize, sugar beet pulp and beef nuts a day

• Is big enough to provide around 2,000lb of meat - 500 steaks or 16,000 sausages

• Cannot be used for breeding because he has been castrated

pigguy

and he's only eating 17 lbs a day, thats less than 1 % of his body weigth .53% to be exact he shoul dbe eating like 60lbs a day so he will b eeating 2% of his body mass

Show Heifer

Actually the "Super Bull" contest at the Iowa State Fair usually tops over 3100. Two years ago it was a red angus bull weighing around 3400, last year I believe it was a limi weighing around 3200.
The record is 3500 or close around there.

strawroanlova

it says hes a bull but it also says hes castrated,im confused because ive never heard the term bullock,what does it mean

tackes

I'm thinking bullock is a British term. I'd really hate to be feeding this guy if he is supposed to eat as much as Maine12 says.  I'm wondering, Maine, if this guy isn't grazing and the steer only gets 17 lbs of grain etc.? Could that explain the difference in the amount of feed?

ShowHeifer, I live in WI, I will have to look up that Iowa State Fair...That would be interesting to see in real life!!!

Thanks Red for posting the article!

shortyisqueen

For some reason, when I read the top of this thread, I thought he would be bigger!!! Or at least that he would eat more!!!

He must not be all that wide if he's THAT tall and doesn't weigh more! We used to have a Hereford bull that weighed in at over 3000 pounds. He was a tank, but he certainly wasn't 6 and a half feet tall!!!

I wonder what weight this guy started out at? Guesses? I figure about 150 pounds. He was no 70 pounder, that's for sure  :eek:

garybob

A Highland Steer at 5'6"? THAT is unusual. So is the extremely small Fresian, who share the same pasture as the Feature-Creature.

Diamond

There was this huge Australian bull at the ohio beef expo that's head was half the size of my bodym the thing was huge. :eek: