can i?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

can i feed some weaning show heifers corn silage? along with grass hay and minerals??

REM

Hi Maine 12.  Yes you can feed corn silage.  If the calves are green, ( no grain or creep feed, and very little condition) it will take a few days to get them used to the silage.  I would start the calves out with grass hay and sprinkle silage on top. Every few days I would increase the silage and decrease hay until I got to the desired lbs of silage.  How long this will take depends on how good the consumption is. 
P.S.  I would be interested  in what everyone Else's weaning program is, i.e. age of calves, vaccination  and feed program.  Thanks.

red

We feed the calves at the farm silage not our show heifer though. Just doesn't give them hair I like w/ texturised feed.

REM- we usually wean our calves about 3 months. Start them on a 15% protien creep feed w/ decox at an early age. When they are eating the feed well we wean.
We creep feed them in a separate pen so they can eat & get away from the cows. Usually start working them there too.

Red

pigguy

i wish i could feed them a show feed for a whole year. but im cheap. they wont be shown until this spring or summer

red

Just watch to make sure they don't get too fat on it. That's the biggest problem I see. Also a good idea to send in a sample for a forage test. That way you can make sure you're getting a good balanced ration. Also watch for mold, that can cause some reproduction problems down the road.

Red

Latest posts