Can Not get this calf broke

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorties

I cant believe that i am asking this question but i have a steer that i can not get broke.  This is not the first time that i broke animals as i have halter broke around 40 head this year but this one is a trouble for me.  I have worked with him multiple times from october to now, this would include running him in the barn and tying him up and messing with him.  I have clipped, blown and washed him but every time i get him in i have to start over from the begining.  Something else is that i am home on spring break right now and have worked with him for a week and this whole week he has not ate any of his feed.  When i let him go at the end of the day he runs to the other end of the pen and stands there with his head up and looking at me.  I have also worked with his pen mate all week and he comes up and eats every time.  I have tied him to our donkey and have also used Ace.  I am open to ALL ideas in getting him broke and if you are curious he is a heat wave/angus.

shorties

Also another thought i had is can i ask the person that i bought the calf from for my money back or is that out of the questoin?

JoeDirt

if he is a Good man he will give you anither steer or if they are all gone he will give you one next year.... But to ask for the money back I would say NO.

Just my two Cents and I would do that for you if it was my steer

knabe

get them both in a smaller pen, don't try and catch him.  scratch on him with a stick for 10 minutes.  walk away for 1/4 hour. come back repeat.  do this over and over and make it a routine for a few days with plenty of hay or whatever after the other one has eaten so he doesn't go off feed.  animals like routine.  maybe he's just complaining.  have only the expectation that you are going to JUST sractch on him and he won't sense you are asking for more.  most of the time, if they are solvable, they just need the steps broken down with a few more increments.

jallen

Yeah i agree with them. my aother suggestion is to just pen him up or leave him in the barn for a couple of days let him relax feed and water him in there. How old is he and would you sell him?

SKF

My daughter had a heifer like that last year. She could wash, brush, clip and blow her out. As soon as you were done with her she ran and looked at you with that look of ready to run. We finally got her to walk some and we thought if we took her to some shows she would calm down. Well my daughter could control her in the show ring but getting to and from was a rodeo. We took her to show after show and she only got worse. We eventually we turned her out to the pasture. I think some calves are just nuts! She will have her first calf this fall and if it is anything like her she will be going to the market.

JSchroeder

There is such a thing as an unbreakable calf but Knabe gave the best advice you can get.

BTW, how did you break 40 steers this year if you are a student?

box6rranch

We had a steer that was so much like the one you are describing last year. We would work with him for a long time and finally make progress only to start from scratch the next day. We called him 10 second Tom, from that movie that's called 30 First Dates, I think.
We just muddled through, got him in the show ring and on his way on the packing truck. I unfortunately get attached to the steers and it's hard to let go, not with that guy though!
Good luck and hang in there.

shorties

Thank you for all of your comments! Knabe i have tried using a little pen because that is how i break all of my calves.  I have broke 40 calves this year because i work for someone who sells alot of bulls that go to denver.  Thanks for all your comments again.